Recharge keys

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
lawrie1947

Post by lawrie1947 »

Hi,
I have a new recharge on order and it seems it comes with only one key.Is that correct?
If so, how much is a new one?

Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Ours came with two. A black one and an orange one. The same as the petrol version.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
percymon

Post by percymon »

Cevoli21 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:58 pm Ours came with two. A black one and an orange one. The same as the petrol version.
My C40 came with the same, one black, one orange
lemack-j

Post by lemack-j »

Mine came with two, as others have already said, a black one and an orange one.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Originally the Volvo's were supplied with two black keys which could be assigned profiles, and an orange one which was programmed with a special profile with restrictions for service. They cut that down to one black in cost saving, and after much complaining they modified the orange key coding to allow it to be a proper second key.

A version of this is probably what you've been told, i.e. it comes with one (black) key.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

lawrie1947 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:22 pm Hi,
I have a new recharge on order and it seems it comes with only one key.Is that correct?
So you’re paying not far off £50k, possibly more depending on which variant you are getting, and they cannot give you two ‘proper’ keys. This is really a pathetic showing from Volvo, they may advertise themselves us a quality brand, but sadly with cost cutting like this they are not. Does not reflect on the car itself, which is a great vehicle and am sure you will enjoy your new recharge.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Stovo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:56 am
lawrie1947 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:22 pm Hi,
So you’re paying not far off £50k, possibly more depending on which variant you are getting, and they cannot give you two ‘proper’ keys. This is really a pathetic showing from Volvo, they may advertise themselves us a quality brand, but sadly with cost cutting like this they are not. Does not reflect on the car itself, which is a great vehicle and am sure you will enjoy your new recharge.
Agreed

I had a major argument to the point where I refused delivery around this. I had ordered the memory seat option and the brochure stated that came with 2 keys which could be set to different profiles. The idea being that when I got into the car, the seats, climate and even radio station were set to my preferences the moment i approached the car and likewise my wife would experience her profile in the same way. Without a 2nd key, this feature (which I had paid extra for) was unusable.

So when the dealer refused to supply the second key (as advertised), I refused to take delivery and the car stood at the dealer for almost a month until Volvo Corporate (this was a company car) threw in the 2nd key as a goodwill gesture (and to break the stalemate)

So yes, this is just penny pinching by Volvo and disappointingly, this has been going on for years. I finally took delivery in December 2020 and it looks like nothing has changed.

IMG_0003.jpeg

XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
gedger

Post by gedger »

Where did you get the information that the orange can't be assigned to a profile? Mine certainly works fine as a second key with assigned seat position, radio stations etc. So far I've found no limitation at all.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

gedger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:55 pm Where did you get the information that the orange can't be assigned to a profile? Mine certainly works fine as a second key with assigned seat position, radio stations etc. So far I've found no limitation at all.
This was a change. It used to be that the orange key was a "Safety Key" and could not be assigned a profile of it's own although you could set things like a speed limit against it.

I believe the earlier ones could be reprogrammed to function as a normal key (at a cost) and that newer cars had the orange key set up as normal so it really depends on the age of the vehicle.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Do you get Volvo key fob with the orange key? My guess…no, but stand corrected if you do. Did I also read somewhere that the keys no longer have the leather ( real or not) finish as per the older keys?