Rusty Discs

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

Completed 240 mile trip yesterday through wind and rain. Car parked on drive overnight and noticed heavy surface rust on discs this morning. Will take car for drive to apply brakes and hopefully remove it but just wondered if this is normal on the XC40? I hope the pictures show properly.
XC40 B3 Plus in Silver Dawn. Ordered 30 Nov 23, handover 11 Dec 23.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Mine get rusty but never as bad as that, a lot of salt on the roads which doesn't help.

Sometimes the pads stick to the discs due to the rust and they don't half bang when they release.

Thinking about it, as you were driving before you parked up the discs should have been pretty dry. Mine have gone rusty after washing or from rain bouncing up off the drive or blowing onto the disks which given the weather last night is the more likely cause?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Given the conditions I think it's pretty normal. There was probably a lot of salt on the road before the rains came making it worse than usual.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Yes, pretty normal these days.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

Grateful for your replies. Gave the car and wheels a good wash to remove the salt and then took it for a short drive with plenty of braking. Still a little surface rust showing but much better now. 👍
XC40 B3 Plus in Silver Dawn. Ordered 30 Nov 23, handover 11 Dec 23.