New owner - 2020 B4 - Bluetooth audio + any way to know whether my software is up to date?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Sorry but you've confused me, not difficult I know!

I had surmised from what you'd said about using a USB stick that you had the Sensus system which requires you to have a personal SIM in the boot for OTA updates of the maps etc.

The AAOS uses Google maps as the default nav and so updates are not required.

The car software updates are done by Volvo OTA when they want to add or alter the car's functionality and you can see from the centre display whether the software is the latest release.

Before you go any further with "updating maps" you need to confirm which you have, Sensus or AAOS. As you have the B4 probably the latter?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

K9 has a 2020 B4, so it's Sensus. The "SIM Slot" to which he refers is, I suspect, the internal air sensor slot on the right of the buttons under the central screen. The SIM is located in the boot.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

OMG air sensor slot ? haha .. that's a surprise. the size is perfect for a SIM. Good thing i read it here first and didn't shove a SIM in there and then come to this forum asking for help as to why my internet isn't working :D

Sensus - correct. I downloaded the western europe map onto a stick and plugged it in. Then got the message that it's updating. USB stick intermittently flashes, but other than that , still waiting for a notification to tell me that it's completed. In between i'm going on short journeys - not really sitting in the car for X hours waiting for it to complete.
volvo xc40 B4 mild hybrid
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You’re not the first one thinking that’s a SIM slot. I remember when being handed over the car how the dealer explained that’s not a SIM or SD slot, some owners must have messed up the sensor by forcing a card card in there.
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:05 pm You’re not the first one thinking that’s a SIM slot. I remember when being handed over the car how the dealer explained that’s not a SIM or SD slot, some owners must have messed up the sensor by forcing a card card in there.
I wonder if this is the origin of the "my Aircon isn't working correctly" problem .
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

Update eventually completed today after leaving the usb stick plugged in and a couple of 20m drives. Eventually get the message 'map data alreadyninstalled' on the notification.
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

Probably just in time for the next update 🙂!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

K9plus1 - it's worth getting a personal SIM and installing in the boot for OTA updates.

I only had to use the USB once because I didn't install one straightaway and was a few updates behind. After that all done automatically.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
K9plus1

Post by K9plus1 »

hi chris. thanks for this advice. i'll check the boot to see if i can locate the car modem.

I have BT internet tethering enabled - so would this not be sufficient?

Also - how much data does the car consume in the background. don't fancy paying monthly just for map updates.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

K9plus1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:40 pm Update eventually completed today after leaving the usb stick plugged in and a couple of 20m drives. Eventually get the message 'map data alreadyninstalled' on the notification.
This happened to me on my last update via usb, it usually says something like map installed, installation will complete when ignition is turned off but this time I got the same “…already installed” message you report. I think it’s because rather than give the “…ignition turned off” message it immediately checked the usb stick which was still in the socket and found that it matched the map it had just installed.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.