Can you send a text message directly to the car?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
gedger

Post by gedger »

Wife rushed out of the house this morning leaving her phone and reading glasses on the side table...wanting to tell her I wondered if it's possible to send a message directly to the car or a car App when a phone isn't present in the car?
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

If set up accordingly the car can read/display a Text message from the paired phone in the car. So no, you can't send a text message to the "car"
It may be possible to get a message to the "car" via Alexa or other such app but I've never investigated that. Sorry
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

In Sensus OS cars it’s possible to send SMS to the PSIM number. The incoming SMS will pop up on the car’s center display. I get these messages when crossing borders and PSIM is registering to roaming networks. If there’s no PSIM in your car then this method won’t work.
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

See, this is why I love the forum. Random questions that never crossed my mind, and answers that I'd never think of!
Brilliant. Thanks!
😉
gedger

Post by gedger »

I sat down and had a play today with no phone in the car and could find no way of doing this. There is no messaging App that you can install, I did wonder if Google outlaws them on AAOS? Trying to send a message results in the message, please connect your phone via Bluetooth.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Your AAOS car doesn’t have personal SIM slot, it has only the embedded factory SIM. You can send a text message to your personal data SIM installed in the car’s modem, but only in Sensus OS cars.