Roadside failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

So... Out driving yesterday and dropped off to do a couple of tasks. Back to the car, unlock, get in, press the button, all the dials and lights do their dance, the checklist comes up and disappears, but no start! Tried several things (getting out locking and unlocking, key on the proximity pad) still nothing...

I pressed the On Call button, and spoke to VOC, who tried a couple of things remotely, before transferring to Roadside Assistance and they called out recovery. Local(ish) guy arrives in 20 minutes (very impressed). He checks the 12V battery (fine ish - 12.3 V, I would have thought a bit low but of course have to allow for all the messing around trying to start), uses an OBDII reader ( no faults) so recovery to dealer is only option.

Because the car handbrake won't release and it won't come out of park, he required a bigger truck. VOC came back and said Enterprise Car Hire will be in touch about a cab and hire car, and that's where things went into a ball of chalk. Advised that we would be called by ECH in 20 minutes. No. Called them. Our local office will be in touch. No. Ring back. ECH advised taxi on way. No. After promised arrival time, called ECH - sorry cab now on way... Finally arrives 45 minutes later and results in a drive from hell in a 10 year old VW people carrier driven by a lunatic....

Overall first part A+ rating, second part FAIL!!! COmplaint on way to ECH

Snicko

Post by Snicko »

Incredible coincidence. I’ve been waiting since 09.00 this morning for Enterprise to contact me about a replacement vehicle following recovery of my car via Volvo Assist. My calls have been deflected by saying that they’re having problems with their phone lines. Utterly useless and a strongly worded complaint to Enterprise via Volvo will follow.

My original issue was my 3 week old B3
‘s engine cutting out whilst travelling at 30mph in heavy traffic. Vehicle wouldn’t restart and much panic ensued for myself and elderly passengers. Anyone else had an issue with complete loss of power whilst driving ?
bba

Post by bba »

For those of us who are a bit hard of understanding - what is the connection between VOC and Enterprise Car Hire? This for the purpose of avoiding a similar fate.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Enterprise provide the replacement vehicles for many manufacturer warranty schemes and breakdown/recovery services. In my limited experience they are usually very good but I suspect they are prone to the same vehicle shortages as everyone else at the moment.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Deleted User 3359

That doesn't apply to taxis does it?
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Did you get your car sorted Larry?
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Deleted User 3359

Not today Keith... Had a call back telling me that in consultation with Volvo they are having to trace the 12v to 48v wiring, which is a job for their Chief Tech tomorrow... Once I get an answer, I'll let everyone know
Deleted User 3359

So, today's update... The issue is the Battery to battery module. Of course not in stock in UK but will be here from Sweden by Tuesday... At least they know what it is....
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Battery to battery module - sound like a posh way to say - its the battery :lol:
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

No, the motor generator on these is 48 volt. It'll be the module that takes the 48v and drops it down to supply the 12v battery. Being DC to DC you can't use a transformer.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21