B4 fuel consumption

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

It has done more than 5,000 miles. No modifications to the vehicle. No extra weight (tow bar etc). It has Michelin 18” tyres that are rated A for fuel economy and set at 38psi. On that particular journey the wind was behind me and I was running on BP E10 petrol with drive mode set to eco. So nothing that should have a negative effect on fuel economy.

The removal of active grille shutters by Volvo for MY22 will make the air flow less efficient, but I wouldn’t have thought that would make that much difference. Although it will no doubt make things worse in the winter.

I begin to wonder what other cost cutting has taken place that’s not as visible. The fitting of cheaper spark plugs, air filters, exhaust system, turbo etc. can all affect fuel economy to some degree, but the cumulative effect could be greater.

So I guess the verdict is that if you buy / lease a B4 2WD XC40, you might get one that can achieve up to 50mpg (or even more) on longer journeys, or you might get one that rarely achieves anything over 40mpg (mid 20s on shorter journeys). Either way you’ll have acceptable fuel economy for this type of vehicle.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@KeithR56 - you stated previously that when you explained to the garage (presumably Volvo) that other XC40 owners were achieving up to and into the 50's they laughed - all banter aside - even if its a 2.0 petrol shaped like a brick - to only get 37-mpg in the scenario you explained - sorry but they ARE having a laugh!!!
Last edited by Deleted User 3629 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 3629

Oh and never drive in Eco- mode, always comfort mode and 7k-miles on the clock.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I'd be interested to know where the Average MPG readings are coming from in each case. Clearly if you reset the trip once engine is hot and you take a reading from the dash after a couple of minutes then you'll have an impressive "average" Vs the reality for that journey, tank of fuel or the last 12 months.
It's also unlikely that under normal circumstances one will better the published figures for a given model.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Never set the trip - just drive and glance now and again at the average MPG reading - don't know how you can suddenly get an "impressive average" when its warm - surely its always a scenario of - when first starting a trip it obviously builds from zero and then fluctuates between differing road conditions/ traffic etc and gives a final figure when you stop at the end of a journey - around town it can fluctuate from 28-42, on the motorway 45-mid 50's, and best reading was a touch over 58 - I know fill-to-fill is always the most accurate way to measure "actual" usage - but for me just happy glancing down now and again at what it says on the dash?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT raises a valid question. There are several sources for average MPG: driver display with 2 different figures, TA and TM; Driver Performance app in centre display; Volvo Car app with vehicle statistics and driving journal data. Some of the MPG data within these sources can be manually reset to zero like data in Driver Performance app or TM data in the driver display.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Oldie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:11 pm I know fill-to-fill is always the most accurate way to measure "actual" usage - but for me just happy glancing down now and again at what it says on the dash?
Depends what are you glancing at, TM or TA. TM will show average data of all your trips until manually reset, whereas TA will reset automatically when the car has not been used for four or more hours.

I think the most accurate data for single trips is found in the Volvo app under Driving Journal, Trip Details (KeithR56 shared picture today).
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Oldie, if you press the trip reset when running it resets the TM average MPG at that point too. So reset just before coasting down a long hill and check out the results!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

The screenshot I posted earlier today was the mid section of a longer journey so the engine was already warmed up. That’s not the best I’ve ever had, but it was the closest comparison I could find to Oldie’s trip driving at a steady 65mph.

I have some full to full tank calculations from a week of touring in Scotland at the end of June. I was covering an average of 150 miles per day, mostly cruising on A roads with little, or no traffic. One tank gave an average of 34.2 and another gave 35.5. According to my phone app, some individual journeys on that exceeded 40mpg, but obviously not all.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Deleted User 3629

Resent motorway run - steady 60-mph, B4 FWD - TM average 59.7-mpg.