B4 fuel consumption

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@KeithR56 - towing caravans or regular towing anything heavy, off-road, farm work etc needs an AWD vehicle - I get that - but the reasoning of soft verges when passing tractors on single lanes needs AWD is in my opinion so thin its transparent - but then again you do suggest that driving in a city and mostly urban would "probably" be OK FWD :lol: - have driven FWD for decades and back then we had snow regular 4-feet deep in winter for weeks on end and have never found them to be wanting - unless you have specific needs for AWD traction they are in my opinion a waste of money.

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

veering away from subject of fuel consumption now
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Think we have to accept that Oldie is correct.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Think we have to accept that Oldie is correct.
That seems that has to be the case. I posted a reply to Oldie this morning, but it seems to have been removed. I wonder why?

OK, so back to fuel consumption: I drive a MY22 B4 2WD which doesn’t have some of the fuel saving features that were fitted in previous years. I struggle to get above 30mpg on short journeys, or above 40mpg on longer journeys (200 plus miles) and I do have a very light foot.

I took my XC40 in to the dealership recently to have some minor problems sorted. I mentioned the poor fuel consumption and said that others claim to achieve figures in excess of 50mpg. When they stopped laughing, they said that I should average around 37mpg depending driving conditions and style. My Volvo app is showing an average of 35.2mpg which includes a lot of longer journeys of late, so I’m not too far off. It is after all a heavy, 2 litre petrol vehicle that’s shaped like a house brick.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Deleted User 3629

Never have said any of my opinions are correct or wrong - they are just opinions :) - that's the trouble today (in my opinion) - you can have one but just make sure it's agreeable - and in my opinion I guess 99% of AWD vehicles never engage the system - yet cost much more all round (including) to go back to the thread somewhat, increased MPG ;)
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

KeithR56 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:54 am …said that others claim to achieve figures in excess of 50mpg. When they stopped laughing, they said that I should average around 37mpg depending driving conditions and style.
Nobody mentioned excess of 50 mpg for average all round driving in a B4 FWD. The devil is in the detail and worth reading carefully what others are claiming, what engines they’re having, what style they’re driving at what speed and where.

To make it easy let’s stick with Volvo’s official WLTP fuel consumption for B4 FWD in extra urban fast driving conditions: 50,44 mpg. Are your dealership people laughing at their own official data?!?
Last edited by eugen61 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@KeithR56,
I'd agree with your fuel consumption. Depending on weather and journey types I average between 28-38 mpg provided I'm not ragging it. Which is quite reasonable for a petrol engined SUV.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Don't know why they would laugh - Have got up to 58.9-mpg at a steady 65-mph on a long run and regular get 35-mpg in town when not too much traffic ;)
Deleted User 3629

guess its a bigger difference than thought - FWD v AWD mpg??
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Oldie wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:13 pm guess its a bigger difference than thought - FWD v AWD mpg??
50.44 v 47.08