Noise when steering right

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

My MY21 B4 fwd has developed a very odd mechanical noise when I turn the steeering wheel to the right. There's now 3 / 4 very definite loud but soft 'clunks' (like if you pulled one of those ribbed cable tidy sleeves across a shelf edge) whenever I turn the wheel to the right. Does not happen turning left.

I've looked under the car, can see nothing that's obviously rubbing, there's no fluid leaks, Volvo mechanic seems at a bit of a loss. Has anyone got a similar noise or do I need to get Volvo to take a deeper look?

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Get it booked into your dealership, take the technical out for a test drive - even round car park if it does it there and show them the issue - then grab a courtesy car from them and have them find / resolve it 👍🏻
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Its not funny but I do chuckle when mechanics seem to be at a loss and just send you on your merry way - you should hear no noise from an electric steering rack like this and the mechanic should know this and at the very least, like Andy40 says, have the car in to source the noise and rectify any problem - a simple act - you would think???
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

Had the same but both left and right at very slow speed. Found to be the front turret tops. They replaced both sides and re-torqued to a different setting.
All done by local Volvo garage who said they had done "afew",
R-Design T4AWD Auto Fusion Red