22 kWh charging limitations

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I have recently had a chance to try a number of different 22kWh chargers. Every single one has only charged at half speed - 15/16 amps and 10-11 kWh. I raised this with ChargePlace Scotland which said that I was just unlucky. However, my brother in law recently told me his ID4 is restricted in this way. And then I found this:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... rging-time

Clicking on the i brings up a box showing charging limited to 11 kWh. This is very disappointing and means that a short stop at one of these charges isn't really worth it on longer journeys. Anybody else have this experience?

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

I haven't read the "Recharge" manual, but it appears to be confirmed here:

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/v ... -recharge/

...that the onboard AC charger is an 11KW one - so that's the maximum you'll get.

(Rather better if you can find a (rapid) DC charger).
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

The onboard AC is limited to 11kw. As you say little point stopping unless its at a rapid DC charger. Some cars are limited to 6-7Kw so it could be worse.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Very few cars can charge at 22kW AC - mostly Tesla and Renault Zoes.

The Zoe is the anomaly as the early ones can charge at 43kW AC.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

So if I understand right - the real down-side of fully electric, never mind the cost, is the waiting to charge a 54kwh+ size battery, however to help,charging points are charging faster all the time and a 22kwh charger will mean the battery is at 80% in approx 2hrs, but car manufactures limit the charge rate to 11kwh or 4hrs to 80%, and that's on a smallish 54kwh battery ???? Like I have always said in my opinion the technology is still too much in its infancy - 10yrs from now maybe, today nope, and you can bet that all those "older" models will be worth diddlysquat.
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

Oldie wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:29 pm So if I understand right - the real down-side of fully electric, never mind the cost, is the waiting to charge a 54kwh+ size battery, however to help,charging points are charging faster all the time and a 22kwh charger will mean the battery is at 80% in approx 2hrs, but car manufactures limit the charge rate to 11kwh or 4hrs to 80%, and that's on a smallish 54kwh battery ???? Like I have always said in my opinion the technology is still too much in its infancy - 10yrs from now maybe, today nope, and you can bet that all those "older" models will be worth diddlysquat.
That is for a 22kWh charger. It is much faster for rapid (around 50kWh) and ultra-rapid (100-150+ KwH) chargers (although the latter slow down as the battery gets fuller - on every car). On my recent trip I actually didn't need to stop at the 22kWh chargers - the rapid chargers filled my needs fine. I just tried some a long the way since I was stopped already and some of them were free. I was just annoyed that I did not know in advance of the limitation. And this one limitation is annoying in and of itself, but so far hasn't actually significantly affected me. I am in fact quite satisfied with my experience to date overall.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

quote]10yrs from now maybe, today nope, and you can bet that all those "older" models will be worth diddlysquat.[/quote]

Oldie - I agree that the technology will probably evolve quickly. The first EVs are already starting to look outdated, but are currently holding their value extremely well. I get the impression that most EVs are on PCP so the “early adopters” get all the tax benefits and fuel savings, but don’t need to worry too much about the value years down the line. A win win win situation for most EV drivers.

I’d have loved an EV, but alas I’m not ready to take that plunge. I looked into EVs very closely when I changed cars earlier this year, but decided to stick with ICE for now for several reasons. 1) I only do around 5,000 miles pa so the extra £20k cost of outright purchase would take 15 to 20 years to break even. 2). I’ve had range anxiety in a petrol car on holiday in Scotland in the past, so I’d be a nervous wreck in an EV. 3). I don’t have the patience to wait for an EV to charge when away from home, and 4) I’m not an early adopter and didn’t want to take a chance on being stuck with a “Betamax” car. All of these are personal reasons that won’t apply to everyone.

No one knows for certain what the future holds. Ten years from now ICE vehicles might be worth diddlysquat if petrol stations become thin on the ground due to the huge drop in demand. Lower demand will result in higher petrol prices to cover overheads.

Incidentally, I was touring Scotland in my B4 XC40 a couple of weeks ago and I saw far more EV chargers than petrol stations. Every town I visited had free parking in a council car park with rows of EV chargers (and no queues).
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Deleted User 3629

I could not agree more - a few months ago I rode in a friends Ferrari 488 spider, what a ride for the first 20-mins, then that screaming engine just at the back of your head was just, well put it this way, the smile turned into a frown quickly and was glad when I got out :cry: In contrast, I tried a fully electric the other day and it was a pleasure to drive, seamless power delivery, lovely and quiet, a smile from start to finish. The combustion engine, clutch/ gears/ auto-boxes etc have had their time and electric or the likes are the future - and thankfully so - but like all things we get to where we need to be by a Journey, and often by trial and error, and some will travel that journey as the road is being laid whilst other wait a while.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

KeithR56 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:52 pm I get the impression that most EVs are on PCP so the “early adopters” get all the tax benefits and fuel savings…
Agree. EV market evolution in Norway gives a good insight, governmental benefits diminished with the increase of number of EVs. Furthermore, I expect electricity prices at charging stations to go up in order to compensate for the loss of fuel duty due to lower demand for petrol. Charging at home might also be taxed in the future with the introduction of a household electricity cap above which duty will be levied.
Deleted User 3629

Taxing electricity to replace fuel-duty is far too complicated and unnecessary - tax needs to be levied at the source and that source would be the miles we do - instead of MPG it will be TPM?