Sport Key battery replacement

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JMRXC

Post by JMRXC »

Leehunt1964 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:15 pm Just for info, I've just purchased a new Sports key from my local Volvo dealer and the cost was £33.60 plus VAT, the software was £5.30 and the labour to programe the key was 0.3 of an hour, total cost of £95.28.
Would you be able to share which Volvo dealer, I'm getting very different quote in west London.

Thanks.

NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Interestingly I received an email from Volvo about accessories and found this
https://volvocarsaccessories.co.uk/Acce ... sory/30455

“This set of keys consists of two standard keys and one Key tag. The smaller Key tag allows you to lock and unlock the car without needing to have the standard key with you. The key is waterproof and is perfect for someone with an active lifestyle.
All three keys are supplied with upgraded hardware. “

Whilst it seems to be an security upgrade for earlier XC40 it’s still interesting that Volvo can supply 2 keys and the Sport key for £120. May allow you to apply leverage to get a better price for the sport key on its own?
Leehunt1964

Post by Leehunt1964 »

Hi JMRXC,
The dealer I bought my key from is Parkside in Orpington Kent.
JMRXC

Post by JMRXC »

Thanks and I'll try them out.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I did ask my Volvo dealer for the replacement and the cost (a year ago) was really some 200 EUR or even more. After a few unsuccessful attempts I gave it to the guy who owns the car key replacement shop and he changed the battery for 30 EUR. It was not the CR2032 but some that's used for BMW and is rechargeable. Sadly it died after some 3 months and that guy did another replacement for free. I'm still not sure what happened during the replacement but I am not able to open the tailgate with my foot while having the sports key in my trousers. With the the regular key fob I am able to open the tailgate with my foot normally.
If my Volvo dealer could charge me less than 50 EUR for the sports key, I would have done it a year ago! Huh, perhaps they cut the prices now?

It would be great if that sports key battery could be charged on a wireless charger. You know, like some other brands' sports keys are charged.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018