Speed cameras

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I’ve recently noticed that my XC40 doesn’t always warn of static speed cameras (possibly only since map updated to 1380). This morning I drove past my local speed cameras that has been there for many years and I didn’t get a warning. However, on the return journey, 15 minutes later, I did get a warning when approaching the same camera from the other direction.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had warnings for that camera in the past so now I’m not sure whether my car is playing up, or the latest map data is wrong.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I’ve noticed I’m not getting a notification at 2 of the speed camera that are fixed, that I know I did get notifications at previously…

Keep forgetting to look on return journey if they’re live - the 1 I do get notifications about is live …
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

KeithR56 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 am I’ve recently noticed that my XC40 doesn’t always warn of static speed cameras (possibly only since map updated to 1380). This morning I drove past my local speed cameras that has been there for many years and I didn’t get a warning. However, on the return journey, 15 minutes later, I did get a warning when approaching the same camera from the other direction.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had warnings for that camera in the past so now I’m not sure whether my car is playing up, or the latest map data is wrong.
Don’t speed cameras only work in one direction?
Is the camera still live as many have not been updated and don’t work?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

No, I believe this particular camera captures both sides of the road. White measuring lines on both sides.

I went past this camera again about 30 minutes ago and it didn’t warn me in either direction. The only difference I can think of from when it gives a warning and when it doesn’t is the drive mode. The occasion that it gave me a warning I was in eco mode. The three times it didn’t I was in comfort mode

More investigation required I think
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

The best thing to do is stick to the speed limit :D
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I always do try not to exceed the speed limit (much to the annoyance of the drivers behind me). 😇😇😇

Just trying to understand why it sometimes warns about cameras and sometimes not. Previous Volvos I’ve owned have warned about every camera

The only way I know to establish whether a camera is “live” is to drive through it at high speed and see if I get a ticket 🧐
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Possibly it's just a bit rubbish? 😉
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I pass a camera on a 60mph section of the A40 pretty much daily. If the road is empty and I can travel at 60mph I get a warning from the car, if there's traffic and I'm below 55mph it doesn't warn me. That's been consistant for nearly 2 years now.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Alex_O wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:30 pm I pass a camera on a 60mph section of the A40 pretty much daily. If the road is empty and I can travel at 60mph I get a warning from the car, if there's traffic and I'm below 55mph it doesn't warn me. That's been consistant for nearly 2 years now.
From the manual

If the car exceeds a detected speed limit with the Speed Limit Warning function activated, a speed warning is given when the car approaches a speed camera, provided that the navigation map for the area in question contains information on speed cameras
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

The warning for exceeding the speed limit is a beep and flashing speed sign. The warning that you’re approaching a speed camera is a different beep and a picture of a camera. These are two separate functions. Besides, I wasn’t exceeding the speed limit on any of the occasions I approached the camera in question. If it only warns of a camera when I’m exceeding the speed limit, I’d never see a camera warning.