Sensus Map 1380 now available...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

ropetko wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:45 pm I have a 64GB USB 3.0 drive (this 3.0 doesn't mean a thing for the front USB ports in Volvo, I know), FAT 32 formatted and the installation is usually smooth. The message I usually get while updating is first there is an error reading the map and I should use the USB, then the second message saying the map in installing.
But, the one thing is important with auto-update: never install your map from the USB before the system finishes installing the auto-updated version! Both updates in such cases can take days, assuming your regular drive around the city is less than an hour. So, I first let the auto-update do its job and shut the car once the installation is finished. After that I put the USB in to do the whole Europe map update, which I prefer. The whole Europe USB update takes similar time to install as the auto-update.

Mikeg1, I think your problem was that the system wanted to do the auto-update first, while you were interrupting it with the USB. Try to set the auto update to off if you prefer doing updates via USB.
My problem was that the routine I was seeing on a W10 machine differed to the steps set out on Volvo's update page. Once I understood what needed doing the UK, then France, 1386 large updates (too large for OTA, therefore requiring installation via USB) installed fine. My preference would always be for map updates OTA, which up to now has been the case from taking delivery 8 months ago. I have it set to auto update for that reason,

Sensus Map is the only installed app I use, so any other updates I'm not really bothered about. Everything else I run via Android Auto.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Moss wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:11 pm
Cornishman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:11 am My USB stick is formatted to ExFAT, and works every time. If you are using a USB stick, it's recognised practise to use a known brand rather than a cheap Chinese one. Mine is a Kingston...
Where does the learned gentleman think Kingston USB sticks are made ?
I know where Kingston sticks are made, but they are made to different standards, and after running 30,000 PC's in a public company I know what the outcome of using 64GB sticks that you buy for £2 off a market stall is.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Indeed Larry. I use SanDisk for all my pen drive needs.

The issue here wasn't the quality of the unit. It was Volvo's opaque instructions.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

I realise I'm not the sharpest tool when it comes to Computers, but when I downloaded the the latest maps for North West Europe, it said it was 2.7 GB. I used a 16 gb uSB flash drive to download it to and it seemed to copy onto it alright, but when I put it in my car it doesn't even say there's a USB connected. Am i missing something by not using a 64gb flash drive? Also I think it came up as version 1390, I know there's a new version due out on the 14th. I hope this makes sense to all the pc experts out there
Many thanks in advance
Roy
P.S.I have an iMac, if that makes any difference
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Current UK v. is 1386 with an update planned for Thurs. I guess that might well be 1390.

Pretty sure the USB thumbdrive I use is 32GB (I'm never going to update Europe as a whole) which works fine for me for UK and France. So long as its capacity exceeds the download size it *should* be OK 🤔

The drive has worked OK in the car before, right? Can you take a screenshot Roy of the files on it and upload here (or take a photo of the laptop screen from your phone and post that)?
Mike. West Yorks.

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

As long as the USB stick is big enough for the content, overall size doesn't matter. (I use an 8GB one)

I'm going to as the same question as I have before somewhere above. What have you downloaded to the USB stick?

The prime download from the Volvo site is not the map. It is a program (download manager) that you run after downloading to your PC/MAC which carries out the map download to a defined location - you should choose the USB stick as that location.

I wonder if you have simply loaded the download manager to the USB stick - SENSUS wouldn't recognise that as input.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

Hi, I've just opened the USB to see what is on there, and it's saying there is 2.96gb installed on there, the way i understand it, it is the maps and a zip file. Do I need to unzip these files before trying to install them?
Roy
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

If you've used the download manager to populate the USB, then it should be presented to the car as it is.

The USB content for this particular update is shown in a screenshot in my post of Jul 03 above. (two zip files and a DBINFO file)
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Roy03 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:26 pm Hi, I've just opened the USB to see what is on there, and it's saying there is 2.96gb installed on there, the way i understand it, it is the maps and a zip file. Do I need to unzip these files before trying to install them?
Roy
Hi Roy

This is how I did it on my Mac

Volvo site - click download for Mac
On your Mac, find the download and click to run it - this will pop an icon onto your desktop and should open the file.

Drag the Volvo icon into the application folder in the new window - will then appear in applications

D7AD7DF8-EA9C-42C7-A211-660CABB6BEAC.jpeg

Open the app and click yes to allow (message saying downloaded from internet)

0300BEE2-4437-497D-B6E0-B7B7283BF8C9.jpeg

Make sure your USB is plugged in

Click new download button

863E6989-3F67-4C16-A8EB-FC6FFC88758B.jpeg

Click on USB (recommended)

3E2E004B-5527-4AC9-92C4-FF906527BA16.jpeg

Choose your USB and it should sort itself out…

Plug it into your car once downloaded and all worked fine for me 👍🏻

Hope it helps
Andy
FrankwH

Post by FrankwH »

I did the same as Andy! to a tee, as a 75 yr old silver surfer found it very easy,
Mud flaps fitted in about 5 mins by the way Andy thanks.