Second set of boot close buttons inside boot of XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
---

Post by --- »

Hello forum folks,

We're looking at the option of installing a second set of 'boot close' buttons inside the boot of our MY21 XC40 T5 Recharge PHEV (I'm guessing the buttons are pretty consistent across all the XC40's anyway).

I realise the boot height is height adjustable (press-and-hold the boot close button). But the reason for our desire to install a second set is that with two drivers of two very different heights, it's not practical to have the height set low (as I'll bump my head), and it's not practical to have the height set high (as my wife can't reach it, and she doesn't like using the 'foot wave' or remote control closing methods).

So we are thinking about the option of getting a second set of boot close buttons (with part of the wiring harness attached) and mounting this inside the boot (out of the way of obstacles / accidental hits, on the right hand-side, but still handy). I'm working on the assumption that I should be able to get a second set of buttons + part of the harness, from somewhere, and being able to tap into and solder into the wiring harness to set up the same (or very similar) config.

These are the buttons:

Looking to put extra set of buttons near here:

We thought of after-market button alternatives as well, but at least with the OEM ones, you get illumination, and exact fit-for-purpose functionality.

Any feedback / other suggestions or ideas?
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

3 ways to close boot, key, kick method or button on dash, but you’d rather ignore these and do a DIY job that will invalidate your warranty……hmmm
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

As has been pointed out already, you have 3, well in your particular case 2 different options that work perfectly well. Have you thought about how you will configure the extra buttons into the car's software? I suspect merely soldering in a second set of buttons will not work. Not trying to be flippant, but what about a small ish stick, left in the boot for the good lady to use?
Moss

Post by Moss »

If your wife doesn’t want to use the button on the dashboard or the kick method, all she needs is a drumstick to reach the buttons inside the boot. I recommend Vic Firth 5A’s for the job.

Drumstick.jpg

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

If you pop the switch out (the bezel is only a press fit), you will likely see it's a simple push-to-make switch with two wires attached. If so, wiring another push-to-make switch in parallel will work fine. Removing all the trim pieces to route a cable to the new position is another matter.

I wouldn't do what you suggest though because leaning into the boot to press a new switch is putting your head into the space the closing bootlid will be heading for. A stick with a bit of felt on the end would be my choice.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Joss

Post by Joss »

What's wrong with the key fob or the button on the dashboard
2021 P8 recharge Sage Green
---

Post by --- »

Thanks folks. Wife doesn't like taking the key out of the pocket or handbag - just wants something easy. Button position would be within easy reach if we went down that route (so no need to stick head in) -- just press on say the right-side of the boot area, near boot lip level. I do like the drum-stick idea (but the wife would be too embarrassed!). Agreed re the wiring options, that's nice and easy. The Dash button takes too long to press, and isn't convenient. One thing I worked out is that the factory buttons are "unreachable" when the boot is closed, whereas if we added buttons lower down (near boot-lip level), the likelihood of those new buttons being "press-able" from inside the closed boot is possible. I.e. If some shopping or boxes were in the boot, they could topple over, and "accidentally" press the boot open / close button, if the car was stationary (pressing the buttons while moving doesn't seem to work). So that wouldn't be a good look having the boot open mid-journey (e.g. at traffic lights), spilling shopping onto the road when you take off! :D

So for now, we've just left things as-is. But all suggestions have been great, and have been warmly received. Thanks crew!
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I’d be just using the remote button on your key fob, I know it’s not as convenient as pushing the button, but potentially might be a lot easier and safer…

Good luck 👍🏻
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Moss wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:24 am If your wife doesn’t want to use the button on the dashboard or the kick method, all she needs is a drumstick to reach the buttons inside the boot. I recommend Vic Firth 5A’s for the job. Drumstick.jpg
Yes, although Zildjian Session masters with the nylon tip may be a little kinder on the switch?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

A twig would be free and could made to exact length.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.