Replacing P-SIM after expiry with '3' 24-month SIM

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Thanks eugen61 👍🏻

Very useful.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

fisherman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:52 pm Is there a way of checking the data use of the 3 sim. Thanks.
Yes

Go into the modem settings in the car and it will tell you

Or

You can register the SIM on the Three website and view your "balance" whenever you want
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
fisherman

Post by fisherman »

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated 👍
XC40 RDesign D4.Thunder Grey Climate Pack Park Assist.Tempra Spare Wheel.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'm clearly not using mine enough! Just map updates.

Capture.JPG

B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3974

Post by Deleted User 3974 »

HI

I've got a "care by Volvo" xc40 just passed the 1 year mark and Vodafone emailed by to say the contract was ended. I had been told the data contract lasted the length of the contract (3 years) - so now unless I buy a new sim no "over the air updates" has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

akh9de wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:52 am HI

I've got a "care by Volvo" xc40 just passed the 1 year mark and Vodafone emailed by to say the contract was ended. I had been told the data contract lasted the length of the contract (3 years) - so now unless I buy a new sim no "over the air updates" has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Care by Volvo is nothing to do with the pSIM being discussed here which is for personal data (Spotify streaming, OTA map updates) and so on) for which you get a 100GB, 12 month Vodafone trial SIM

If you don't renew (or replace) the Vodafone SIM after 12 months, your care by Volvo subscription and the App that controls your car will continue to operate as before.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Guess most will disagree with this post, and perhaps explain what your missing ;) , but connecting a car permanently to the internet does not sit well and have never fitted the sim - every service the engine, gearbox and system is check and loaded with the latest software if needed - with all the constant updates to apps etc my home computer often throws a wobbly and does all sorts of mysterious things :x , and in my opinion, the thought of having that potentially happening to a car you are driving........... no thanks :)
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Oldie wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:36 am Guess most will disagree with this post, and perhaps explain what your missing ;) , but connecting a car permanently to the internet does not sit well and have never fitted the sim - every service the engine, gearbox and system is check and loaded with the latest software if needed - with all the constant updates to apps etc my home computer often throws a wobbly and does all sorts of mysterious things :x , and in my opinion, the thought of having that potentially happening to a car you are driving........... no thanks :)
So the car is permanently connected to Volvo (not the internet) regardless of if you fit the pSIM or not. The car has it's own separate embedded SIM and modem (as do 99% of all new cars today) that talks back to Volvo

Unless you have the P8 all electric, your XC40 does not receive OTA updates but even if it did, not installing the pSIM would not prevent these because (as I said), the car uses its own separate connection.

So whilst I understand your concern, you probably don't need to be as concerned as your car doesn't receive OTA updates and Volvo doesn't use the internet to do so on the cars that do get OTA updates
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:36 am Guess most will disagree with this post, and perhaps explain what your missing ;) , but connecting a car permanently to the internet does not sit well and have never fitted the sim - every service the engine, gearbox and system is check and loaded with the latest software if needed - with all the constant updates to apps etc my home computer often throws a wobbly and does all sorts of mysterious things :x , and in my opinion, the thought of having that potentially happening to a car you are driving........... no thanks :)
Oldie strikes again :roll:
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

You can turn off automatic updates on your home computer, Oldie, if they bother you.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior