Wind noise

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I had wind noise around the driver's window in my 2010 Audi A3 - pretty much from the start. Came in at higher speeds - maybe above 50. Took it to the dealer a few times. The first couple of times they didn't hear anything. Then they did and resat the door. Didn't fix it. Took it in a couple of more times but the dealer said they couldn't hear anything. In the end I had to live with it for 11 years. Great car except for that annoyance.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

It's nothing personal against sunroofs ;) , and glad to hear Keith56 history with them has been a good one :P - its that preference is not to have one as the problems can (and often do) outweigh whatever the erm.... gain is - and as for the problems, you hear about them all the time if one listens - you only have to read some of the better auto magazines to find agreement too - with regards to structural, again, a sunroof does form part of the structural integrity - just like the "A" pillars of a convertible do, but just like a convertible, it can never match a conventional roof - If you like them great - if you don't, its understandable why.
Deleted User 3629

@PlymDave - sorry for the lack of constructive comments :( - will try harder - here goes...... most cars suffer from wind noise, and this can be at different times with wind directions and wind speeds that then are added to the cars speed - most noises form around the wing mirrors and "A" pillar, notorious and worse are aftermarket roof-bars, however if you have a sunroof and the noise is coming from the roof top, that may indicate its sitting a little proud or air maybe travelling underneath a seal and swirling around the mechanism, both indicating perhaps an adjustment is needed. If it remains, don't try to adjust it yourself, your car is new and you may make it worse, see your dealer who will be more than happy to help solve your issue :P .
Harryjones05

Post by Harryjones05 »

@PlymDave, I've written a description of what's wrong and how to fix it earlier in thread... I fixed my old man's panoramic roof wind noise myself as the dealers were unhelpful...👍🏻
Deleted User 3629

If a dealer is unhelpful go to another :roll: - from experience a good dealer will go the extra mile to sort any issues - don't understand why anyone with a new car would wish to "fix" a problem themselves, getting it wrong could be very costly, regardless if it seems simple to sort, and after the bodge, then go to the dealer and ask for them to fix? :oops:
Harryjones05

Post by Harryjones05 »

It's not a bodge at all, you obviously don't do or have done any kind of home mechanic jobs... Its a simple job and it's made from factory to be adjusted, but it's not set properly from the factory.... We live in an area where we have one dealer 40 mins away and no others for a long distance, so didn't have the option to pick and choose as you have...
Deleted User 3629

@Harryjones05 - did not say or hope to suggest that you do bodge work :o - what the thread intended to simply suggest (when read objectively) was to take it to your dealer to adjust, as someone perhaps not so "talented" as you may not feel comfortable adjusting - after all it is why we have a warranty :shock: , and why most dealers (not in your case) are more than happy to help sort - as for your personal observation towards home mechanic abilities :roll: