Wind noise

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie has the correct name. Next he’ll be saying electric windows……..just more to go wrong!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

What was wrong with a window winder :P - and it was an exerciser too - bet all those who have pressed the switch with nout happening thought so too ;)
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Oldie wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:52 pm What was wrong with a window winder :P - and it was an exerciser too - bet all those who have pressed the switch with nout happening thought so too ;)
The rot set in with electric starter motors. What on earth was wrong with the manual crank handle... :lol:
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Deleted User 3629

Ah yes - the cranking handle - no need for AWD, if you got stuck all you needed to do was take the spark plugs out (bet your saying - what are spark plugs :? ) and turn the handle to get you out of any situation :P
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Ah... Ice Cold In Alex. Great film.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Of course yes - Ice Cold In Alex.... perfect example, and for those who are wondering, they cranked a WW2 lorry all the way up sand dunes with just a starting handle ;)
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I get the impression that Oldie doesn’t like sunroofs :-) Personally, I wouldn’t buy a car that doesn’t have a sunroof. I’ve been driving for over 45 years now and every hard top car I’ve owned has had a sun roof (including 6 Fords, 5 Nissans, 7 Volvos and a 1936 Austin Ruby). I haven’t had any roof problems with any of them. None of them have ever leaked, or caused any noise (I think the Austin was probably quieter with the roof open :-)). I’m over six foot and have never had a problem with head room. I don’t believe that the structural integrity, or safety in an accident, is compromised in any way at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if the frame around the sunroof doesn’t actually make the roof stronger (I’ve no data to substantiate this either way). The many convertibles I’ve owned over the years are a totally different story; they all leaked and were all noisy.

So having now established that some people like sunroofs and some don’t, I will steer the conversation back to the OP:

The suggestion of adjusting the roof would work for those who are confident in working on cars, but may not be for everyone. Personally, I’d have to be pretty sure it was the roof causing the problem before attempting to adjust it, and even then I’d probably get my dealer to do it if it’s still under warranty (I’d probably make it worse if I did it myself).

It’s always difficult to trace the source of noise in a car. It is often just a process of elimination. If it is the sunroof causing the buffeting noise, you could try fully opening the roof then closing it again (it might not have closed properly last time). Or try pushing on the glass from inside the car when the noise appears to see if it changes.

Have you got someone to sit in the back seat whilst you drive to tell you whether the sound is worse in the back?

Check that the windows are all fully closed (they can sometimes look closed, but have not gone the last 1mm into the door frame). Also check if all the door / window seals are intact.

Sorry I can’t be of more help, but I hope you find a solution.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Thank you KeithR56, nice to have a constructive reply for once.
Andyfr

Post by Andyfr »

PlymDave wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:08 am I've had my XC40 R Design B4 FWD for around 4 months and love everything about it so far. However recently I've noticed a fairly loud buffering sound at speeds of 50mph plus which seems like its coming from the roof. I'm sure this is a recent development as I don't remember it happening prior to a few weeks ago. Although it sounds like its coming from the roof it could be elsewhere I guess. It's an intermittent sort of throb that really does sound like its being caused by wind.
Has anyone experienced this or have any insight as to what it might be?
I noticed something very similar to this at around the same speed. I wouldn't say it was loud but I was aware of it. The sound didn't change as I altered speed and it only seemed to happen after driving for a while at a constant speed. When I did the first tyre rotation at 3,000 miles I haven't noticed it as much although we haven't been on any long journeys.

It was as if an oscillation of some panel was causing it. I did wonder if it was the under floor panels.
Andyfr

June 2021 B4 AWD Inscription - Pebble Grey - Dark tinted windows - Temp spare wheel.
Andyfr

Post by Andyfr »

Forgot to mention, I don't have a sun roof.
Andyfr

June 2021 B4 AWD Inscription - Pebble Grey - Dark tinted windows - Temp spare wheel.