Volvo XC40 confirmed for US

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Good news coming from Volvo as the company has announced its next generation of 40 series models will be launched in the United States.

volvo-xc4-render.jpg

Speaking to Automotive News at the ongoing Geneva Motor Show, Volvo CEO Hakan Samuelsson revealed plans to offer the 40 family in the US. This will include not just the usual V40 hatchback and S40 sedan, but also a compact crossover which will likely be badged “XC40.”

Volvo’s R&D senior vice president Peter Mertens admitted it was a mistake not to offer the series 40 cars in the US, but the decision was taken during a time when Volvo was having some serious financial problems.

With the V40 facelift revealed only a few days ago, it will be a while until an all-new model will be introduced. The new 40 series models will ride on Volvo’s Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) platform which will borrow some of the bits and pieces from the larger SPA platform that has underpinned so far the XC90, S90, and V90. The first CMA-based car is due next year and these compact Volvos will also get a range-topping T5 Twin Engine hybrid derivative in the same vein as the SPA’s T8 Twin Engine setup.

Volvo completed its rollout of the 90-series large cars with the V90 wagon here, which followed the debut of the S90 sedan in Detroit. The XC90 crossover, already on sale, has proved a strong platform for Volvo to debut its plug-in hybrid powertrain as an option.

Mertens said that 20 percent of XC90s sold in the U.S. are plug-in hybrids, a rate that surprises Volvo. But, he added, plug-in hybrids are doing well in Europe, too, with a 10 percent rate in Germany "which is a super, super diesel market."

Mertens said Volvo foresees a "massive increase in take rates for plug-in hybrids, and I think it's about to take off now."

VolvoFan

Post by VolvoFan »

I hope it looks something like that! I think the XC40 for the US is a no-brainer for them, I just hope the UK and Europe get it first so it doesn't delay things!