Driver Assist Package - Is it worth it?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

DanishPastry wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:53 pm I understand the OP rarely does motorway trips, but here is my contribution...

The orange light warning BLIS is one of the best features of the car. My SO has declared she'll never drive a car that doesn't have it. As well as the blind spot warning, it also warns for fast-approaching cars in an adjacent lane.

Love Pilot Assist too. Every new car above entry-level seems to have this these days. In 5-10 years, no car will have a steering wheel; a step-change. In the meantime, take all the driver assistance going. It all helps a little to save accidents.
Cautionary tale with Pilot Assist, ,I love it, but it's not perfect. Driving down the M4 from Berkshire just after getting it, and very pleased with myself how this all worked. Just passing junction 16 ON slip and the car veered left towards the slip! The left lane marking were worn away, and the car saw the white line on the far side of the slip road, and though, 'i should be over there'. So not entirely trustworthy yet!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Felindre wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:04 pm
DanishPastry wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:53 pm I understand the OP rarely does motorway trips, but here is my contribution...

The orange light warning BLIS is one of the best features of the car. My SO has declared she'll never drive a car that doesn't have it. As well as the blind spot warning, it also warns for fast-approaching cars in an adjacent lane.

Love Pilot Assist too. Every new car above entry-level seems to have this these days. In 5-10 years, no car will have a steering wheel; a step-change. In the meantime, take all the driver assistance going. It all helps a little to save accidents.
Cautionary tale with Pilot Assist, ,I love it, but it's not perfect. Driving down the M4 from Berkshire just after getting it, and very pleased with myself how this all worked. Just passing junction 16 ON slip and the car veered left towards the slip! The left lane marking were worn away, and the car saw the white line on the far side of the slip road, and though, 'i should be over there'. So not entirely trustworthy yet!
It was never advertised as autopilot ;)

Assist suppose to assist you, not drive for you)
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

mr.vladis wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:22 pm

I think you are confused, it has lane keeping, but also has pilot assist, when selected you get a green steering wheel in the cruise display and it follows the white lines perfectly (unless they disappear)

From the manual:
When Pilot Assist helps to steer, it attempts to
place the car halfway between the visible lane
markings. For a smoother drive, it is a good
idea to allow the car to find a good position.
The driver can always adjust the position him/
herself by increasing the steering input. It is
important that the driver checks to make sure
the car is positioned safely in the lane.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Sorry if this has been said before but BLISS is not available on cars ordered at present due to the shortage of chips from the far east.
Dingledog

Post by Dingledog »

I have it and think its fantastic.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Felindre wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:31 pm

I think you are confused, it has lane keeping, but also has pilot assist, when selected you get a green steering wheel in the cruise display and it follows the white lines perfectly (unless they disappear)

From the manual:
Hi there,
No confusion.

It doesn't say you can relax and let the car drive for you.

It will assist you and remind to keep your hands on the steering wheel.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

mr.vladis wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:01 pm

From the manual:
Hi there,
No confusion.

Please point out where i said i could relax and take my hands off the steering. But it does fully steer the car for you, which is what i said.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Felindre wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:16 pm
mr.vladis wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:01 pm

From the manual:
Hi there,
No confusion.

Please point out where i said i could relax and take my hands off the steering. But it does fully steer the car for you, which is what i said.
my point was about the statement that "it is not trustworthy yet".
I just think it is, for what it suppose to do by design.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Ok, i'll accept that statement, and that's the way I use it, which is why it was a surprise not a full on accident, because i was able to correct it instantaneously. These systems are only as good the programming. There's no 'intelligence' just a set of rules. If there were intelligence it would learn the road doesn't change that instantly, or to look further ahead to check it's assumptions on the road.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Assumptions are a dangerous thing...

That said, i've learned to let the car steer and accelerate / break herself on long motorway trips; it took a lot of trial to trust her (yes, her, not it :) ). and a London-Lake District trip with my foot hovering over the brake pedal just in case.
Suffice to say, i couldn't really walk when i had to fill out the tank lol.

However, with these systems you need to be proactive rather than reactive. Worn out lines, red working lines, green dot rerouting lines, lines made out of traffic cones... the car can't handle these. It's best to feather the brake to turn off the system, and re-engage when safe to do so. I've had a few close-calls myself while i eased into it so i'm not just "reading from the books"