Driver Assist Package - Is it worth it?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Sowfi

Post by Sowfi »

jamie307 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:07 pm Version 3 of the MY22 brochure has deleted Driver Awareness. It is not longer available as a stand-alone option, nor as part of the Driver Assistance package which now features Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise only, with the price dropped from £1550 to £1100.

They obviously see the semiconductor problem as affecting production for some time.
Yep... We found this out last week. Very frustrating! We also found out that they are ALSO no longer giving us the option to add a 360 camera - due to the same 'chip shortage issue' - Argh!...We just couldn't get a break!
In the end..the waiting around got the better of us - and we just went ahead and ordered with the stripped down Driver Assistance option (£1100). Our current car isn't going to last us much longer, plus its on a 3 year lease so hopefully by the end of the lease we will have another chance and have the option to order the car we actually want!

StackH

Post by StackH »

We've been told that unless we cancel, our build will proceed without the Driver Awareness pack. That means no blind spot warning and no cross traffic alert, two things that we specifically wanted. We have a few weeks to make a decision before the build slot is locked. The dealer can't provide any indication about when or if the Driver Awareness pack will be available again.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

StackH wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:42 am We've been told that unless we cancel, our build will proceed without the Driver Awareness pack. That means no blind spot warning and no cross traffic alert, two things that we specifically wanted. We have a few weeks to make a decision before the build slot is locked. The dealer can't provide any indication about when or if the Driver Awareness pack will be available again.
Yeah, it seems to be a big problem.
As it was already mentioned - it worth looking into the existing stock or Selekt.
Fully packed 1 year old Selekt could be a really good option, cheaper as well.
Deleted User 3530

Post by Deleted User 3530 »

My thought is the ‘Covid cars’ without the extras will be worth a lot less when it comes to sell… I’m going to wait as I don’t think my dealer should be trying to fob me off with a car with less spec than the one I am trying to trade in.
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Dealer told me 2 weeks ago that there are no cars in the country, and won't be until September, but was quite happy to place an order for a car with Pilot assist etc for then (I bought second-hand instead - that's another option)
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
StackH

Post by StackH »

As I understand it, you can still place an order with pilot assist, but that won't include blind spot and cross traffic alert. The price has been reduced from £1,500 odd down to £1,100 accordingly.

We placed an order including the driver awareness pack back in April. We've seen the build spec on the Volvo system at the dealers, and they have removed the driver awareness and replaced it with pilot assist (obviously without BLIS and CTA). Interestingly, they hadn't told the dealer (so I'm told) and it wasn't until the dealer checked when I prompted them that they saw the change.

Our build goes fixed in August, for delivery in September, but as it stands it won't have the blind spot monitoring. There also seems to be virtually no demo/nearly new examples around with a similar spec at anywhere near the price we had ordered. We'll probably leave it as late as possible before cancelling just in case the chip shortage eases, but the signs aren't good.
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

For what it’s worth i personally find there is no actual blind spot when driving the Xc40. The views in the interior mirror and the door- mounted mirrors overlap comfortably so that at no time can one not see a vehicle behind. I suppose this may depend on individual mirror adjustment and driving position. The BLIS light is however quite useful in drawing attention to overtaking traffic. On the other hand I have found CTA to be brilliant, it saved me from a potential collision a few times
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I understand the OP rarely does motorway trips, but here is my contribution...

The orange light warning BLIS is one of the best features of the car. My SO has declared she'll never drive a car that doesn't have it. As well as the blind spot warning, it also warns for fast-approaching cars in an adjacent lane.

Love Pilot Assist too. Every new car above entry-level seems to have this these days. In 5-10 years, no car will have a steering wheel; a step-change. In the meantime, take all the driver assistance going. It all helps a little to save accidents.
MY2020 R-Design
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

DanishPastry wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:53 pm I understand the OP rarely does motorway trips, but here is my contribution...

The orange light warning BLIS is one of the best features of the car. My SO has declared she'll never drive a car that doesn't have it. As well as the blind spot warning, it also warns for fast-approaching cars in an adjacent lane.

Love Pilot Assist too. Every new car above entry-level seems to have this these days. In 5-10 years, no car will have a steering wheel; a step-change. In the meantime, take all the driver assistance going. It all helps a little to save accidents.
Yes, yes! This warning about fast approaching vehicles is amazing, especially if it is a motorcycle speeding as a bullet!
I found it also amazing with just cyclists, especially in the dawn. First you notice orange light and than you look more precisely and see the cyclists!
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

BLIS also warns you when reversing out of a parking spot and there's a vehicle approaching from either side.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21