Pilot Assist retrofit for MY21

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
rl1234

Post by rl1234 »

Hi all,
I have read a few posts on the forum and elsewhere saying that it is possible to get Pilot Assist/Adaptive Cruise Control retrofitted onto the XC40 if not specified at time of purchase, but my dealer has told me that it is not available as an accessory for my MY21 Inscription delivered last month. My car has the £600 BLIS package fitted but not Pilot Assist/ACC.
Can anybody confirm whether this is possible?
Many thanks
XC40 B4P Inscription AWD
Onyx Black
September 2020

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

rl1234 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:18 pm Hi all,
I have read a few posts on the forum and elsewhere saying that it is possible to get Pilot Assist/Adaptive Cruise Control retrofitted onto the XC40 if not specified at time of purchase, but my dealer has told me that it is not available as an accessory for my MY21 Inscription delivered last month. My car has the £600 BLIS package fitted but not Pilot Assist/ACC.
Can anybody confirm whether this is possible?
Many thanks
Have a look at link below
https://www.swedishcaraccessories.co.uk ... 6895-p.asp
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
rl1234

Post by rl1234 »

Thanks for that, I will show the link to the dealer. If anybody has experience of having the work carried out on an MY21 car I’d be interested to know.
XC40 B4P Inscription AWD
Onyx Black
September 2020
skimm

Post by skimm »

I've had it retrofitted on mine.

It's not easy but possible as officially MY21 vehicles have had the option of this upgrade removed. However, my dealer has been able to get Volvo tech team in Sweden to 'unlock' the car's software blocks to accept the update.
Also it doesn't need the hydraulic pump as before - it is literally a software unlock

if you need more details, message me.
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
rl1234

Post by rl1234 »

Thanks skimm, that’s helpful. As a new member I don’t seem to be able to send PMs yet but would be great if you can either post or PM me the details of the dealer you used. Both of the dealers I’ve spoken to have told me it can’t be done.
XC40 B4P Inscription AWD
Onyx Black
September 2020
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I use it quite rarely, it does not give me feel of safety, and looks like it is one of the worst

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-saf ... e-systems/

Somewhat related to this, the whole set of accident collision avoidance, road sign information - - all that quite wrong

Adaptive cruise control is dangerous, pilot assist I use just on the mostly safe and straight road segments, etc.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

michael123 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:55 am I use it quite rarely, it does not give me feel of safety, and looks like it is one of the worst

Somewhat related to this, the whole set of accident collision avoidance, road sign information - - all that quite wrong

Adaptive cruise control is dangerous, pilot assist I use just on the mostly safe and straight road segments, etc.
I use adaptive cruise control for about 95% of my drive time, in town, city, motorways and country roads in both heavy and light traffic. It’s never felt “dangerous” to me and I wouldn’t buy a car that doesn’t have it fitted. I only use pilot assist on motorways and then only when traffic is light and I need to touch the Sensus screen for something. Accuracy of road sign info I’d rate at 85-90%.
IMHO I think you are being a bit over dramatic about these things...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

michael123 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:55 am I use it quite rarely, it does not give me feel of safety, and looks like it is one of the worst

No system is perfect and each of us use it at our own level of acceptable perceived safety. Here’s another in-depth test by EuroNCAP on cruise control performance worth checking out. The Volvo system tested here in the V60 is identical with the one found in the XC40:

https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rew ... -gradings/
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

I would not say its dangerous and its only an aid to actually driving, not sitting back and expecting it to do it for you.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Although this thread has been subverted from the original topic (Retrofit of ACC), I can't help but comment.

> Adaptive cruise control is dangerous, pilot assist I use just on the mostly safe and straight road segments, etc.

That statement strikes me as misleading and internally inconsistent.

In the 'consumerreports' article you cited, Volvo scores poorly in the categories where driver common sense applies, and better in the actually doing the job categories.
It is obviously an Amercian article, and perhaps American drivers have different expectations, and consequently Review standards, for autonomous driving features?

I am perfectly well aware that Pilot Assist is not Autonomous driving, and that I am totally in-charge and responsible at all times.

In my personal experience, I found the distance-keeping from the car in front to be a brilliantly stress-reducing feature. To be honest, I found it kept a bit too close for my comfort, but a couple of taps on the buttons and it backed off to a distance I was comfortable with.
Lane assist/auto-steer was... spooky, but seemed to work well. And I was very aware that I need to keep fully engaged.

I found your statement inconsistent because Pilot Assist simply adds Lane Keeping to ACC, so is not relevant on 'straight road segments'

Not looking for a fight; just offering a different perspective.

Mark
MY2020 R-Design