Private plate switch over

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I once had a problem having the dealership sort out the plate change for me. Back in 2011, I traded in a Volvo S60 on my private plate for a nearly new Volvo Selekt V60. The Volvo Main dealership agreed to transfer my private plate for me and I gave them the £80. When I picked up my new car it didn’t have my private plates on. The dealer told me it would take a couple of days for all the paperwork to go through and the DVLA would contact me when it was time to put my own plates on.

It turned out that dealership hadn’t applied to have the plates transferred and my old S60 went to auction still wearing my private plate. I got it sorted just in time, but was very close to losing it. Ever since then I’ve put my plate back on retention before changing my car then do the transfer myself afterwards.

BTW, the plates are too big to fit on a fridge; they get in the way when you open the door. They might fit on your bicycle though if you take the stabilisers off first.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

KeithR56 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:38 am I once had a problem having the dealership sort out the plate change for me. Back in 2011, I traded in a Volvo S60 on my private plate for a nearly new Volvo Selekt V60. The Volvo Main dealership agreed to transfer my private plate for me and I gave them the £80. When I picked up my new car it didn’t have my private plates on. The dealer told me it would take a couple of days for all the paperwork to go through and the DVLA would contact me when it was time to put my own plates on.

It turned out that dealership hadn’t applied to have the plates transferred and my old S60 went to auction still wearing my private plate. I got it sorted just in time, but was very close to losing it. Ever since then I’ve put my plate back on retention before changing my car then do the transfer myself afterwards.

BTW, the plates are too big to fit on a fridge; they get in the way when you open the door. They might fit on your bicycle though if you take the stabilisers off first.
Just to add to the frustration ... on a previous (VW) deal, I was persuaded by the dealer to carry out my own Private transfer post delivery. I waited a couple of weeks to let the dust settle and 'did the deal' .Thought I might make VW Finance aware of the change of registration only to be charged £40 :!: :!: It then seemed a good idea to advise my insurer and was duly charged another £40 to register the change :!: :!:
Consequently, when I bought my XC40 (New), I made sure that the Dealer completed the Plate transfer and that the Finance details all referred to the private plate :) :)
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I’ve had my private plate on 5 different cars over a number of years and have never had to pay any company to update their records; just the DVLA.

If buying from new it should be a simpler process to have the dealership do all of the work. I tend to buy “nearly new” cars so there are added complications.

My biggest issue is the growing number of people I have to notify when I change the plates. Not only my insurer to notify, but gap insurance, breakdown, warranty and dealership so they can update the service records. I’ve recently purchased a service plan for my current car so that’s someone else to notify in the future
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.