MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

The MY22 orange key functions like the black key except for two things. It can't be renamed and the saved profile can't be locked to the key, which is annoying. When I ordered the car in May I was offered a second black key for £75. In retrospect, I should have taken up the offer
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

browncamry

Post by browncamry »

Hey so I read this thread before picking up my car today. I called the sales agent and complained about it yesterday. My child is about 12 years from being able to drive, so the care key is no use!

The service people here had a unique solution which allows us to program our name and settings against the orange care key. They reprogrammed the care key so it became the primary key and that allowed us to get full functionality with the care key.

I was skeptical when told over the phone but it worked pretty well with no faults that I can see. My wife is happy she gets to use the orange key and her name pops up when she jumps in the car.

Hopefully this helps and thank you for raising the issue! I’d be a bit bitter about it today if I found out after.
browncamry

Post by browncamry »

Wedgie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:23 am Contrary to some of what has been said above I do believe the orange key can be re-programmed.

I was negotiating to replace our 2019 T4 for a new T5 recharge and said I wanted a second key as part of the deal as we had found the two user profiles very useful.

While our dealer would not give me a second black key he has added the reprogramming of the orange key to the deal for free (confirmed in writing).
I can confirm this is true!
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Browncamry and wedgie, what country is this? I know US keys have been reprogrammed. I'd like to get my dealer to do this in the UK.
browncamry

Post by browncamry »

I am from Australia. Ask your dealer/service folks if they can reprogram the care key to be the primary key. Must be tribal knowledge…
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Greggspies wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:48 pm Browncamry and wedgie, what country is this? I know US keys have been reprogrammed. I'd like to get my dealer to do this in the UK.
Mine is booked in to be done in the UK.
They hadn't heard of it but were happy to look up the TJ number. Once they had, they confirmed it could be done for free under warranty.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Thanks both, I will be speaking to my dealer..
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

UK here too.
BrianT58

Post by BrianT58 »

Rockford wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:22 pm
Greggspies wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:48 pm Browncamry and wedgie, what country is this? I know US keys have been reprogrammed. I'd like to get my dealer to do this in the UK.
Mine is booked in to be done in the UK.
They hadn't heard of it but were happy to look up the TJ number. Once they had, they confirmed it could be done for free under warranty.
That's good news, I don't suppose you know what the TJ number is do you? It might make it a tad easier when talking to the dealership
Regards Brian
MY2024 XC-40 Ultimate B4
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

it was discussed just a page behind
Oli wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am
Felindre wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 pm As previous replies, you need to buy a regular black key.
This is a fairly recent change in policy in the US, since the previous replies. You can now call any US dealership and have the Orange key reprogrammed for free under the Volvo Factory warranty.
The warranty code for this work is TJ35978 but I have no idea if there is something similar in the UK? Do the same TJ (Technical Journal) codes apply here?