MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

We like it because my black key selects USB playback, and wife's orange key selects R2 DAB.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

KeithR56 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:19 pm I haven’t set up any driver profiles on my car, nor do I need / intend to. My wife rarely drives my car, but when she does she just needs to change the seat setting on the door buttons. The wing mirrors etc. don’t need adjusting.

Question: So without any profiles set up, what would I see different if I used the orange care key instead of the black one?
My car has been in a couple of times over the last few months and I have noticed that the loaner has been provided with an orange key OR a black key set as "guest"

On the first loaner, the primary profile had the aircon set to OFF when the car first started so even though I turned the aircon on each time, when I got out of the car and back in, it did not remember my last setting. This was also the case for lane assist and a couple of other safety features that all defaulted to off each time I locked the car. Over the few days I had it, considering it was quite warm weather I was cursing this

On the second loaner, certain features (lane assist again being one of them) were simply locked out so I could not enable them.

So depending on how things are set up, you may find you are unable to enable or disable features whilst driving only with the orange key in guest mode
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

IIRC the car is speed limited with the orange key...
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

As an experiment, I drove my XC40 with the orange key this morning, just to see what settings would be different. I didn’t notice anything major: just the things I’d customised in the display, lighting and individual drive mode etc. No speed limit set. So I’m happy now in the knowledge that if I lose my black key, I’m OK to use the orange key.

The problem I had was swapping back to my black key later, possibly because I’ve never saved a profile, almost everything went back to factory settings. I’m not sure whether it’s a coincidence, but I also had to reconnect my phone.

I’ve just spent the last hour putting everything back as I want it, and this time I’ve saved it as Profile 1.

My car is in for its first service in couple of weeks. I’m going to ask if they’ can reprogram my orange key for free.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

KeithR56. They can and they will. Mine was done a couple of months ago. They will also update the car's software which will mess up the key settings!
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Prepare for possible fight. I've a post back around last march detailing they did the programming, but then wanted to charge me, not having pre said it was chargeable. Backed down in the end and didn't charge. Others on here had it done free, no questions asked.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Prepare for possible fight.
I’ve just phoned Rybrooks Preston to enquire about having my orange care key reprogrammed when my car goes in for a service next week. The person I spoke to wasn’t sure so they had to go off to check, but rang me back shortly after to confirm that it can be done FOC. Thanks to this forum, I already knew that, but didn’t know whether they knew.

A bit of an anticlimax after I’d prepared myself for a fight 😂 I didn’t even have to quote the TJ number.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Quick update on this. Ours was booked in for 1st service today. Someone rang as a reminder yesterday and asked if there was anything to note. Told them about the forum and TJ35978. Lad said he didn't know anything about that but would check when I brought it in.

Took it in with both keys and showed em a screenshot.

Service check done and orange key de-restricted FOC. 2nd profile now edited with wife's name.

Thanks all 👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21