Cricket Electronic Sound Only When Pressing Gas Pedal

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, I have a noise too. Happens after 50+ mph. If you have the radio down or it’s a quiet track, I hear a sort of clicking sound. I have found that all 4 widow switches ‘tick’. Now boys and girls, if you sit in your cars and move the window switch’s around (from side to side, not rocking them up and down as if you’re trying to open or close the window) see if you get a ticking sound. I suspect the window switches are resonating at higher road speeds. I can run my hand over all 4 switches lightly and get the noise immediately and constantly. I’ll video it later if I can.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Pat Ronise

Post by Pat Ronise »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:06 am So, I have a noise too. Happens after 50+ mph. If you have the radio down or it’s a quiet track, I hear a sort of clicking sound. I have found that all 4 widow switches ‘tick’. Now boys and girls, if you sit in your cars and move the window switch’s around (from side to side, not rocking them up and down as if you’re trying to open or close the window) see if you get a ticking sound. I suspect the window switches are resonating at higher road speeds. I can run my hand over all 4 switches lightly and get the noise immediately and constantly. I’ll video it later if I can.
Good boy, well done. Thanks
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Pat Ronise wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:44 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:06 am So, I have a noise too. Happens after 50+ mph. If you have the radio down or it’s a quiet track, I hear a sort of clicking sound. I have found that all 4 widow switches ‘tick’. Now boys and girls, if you sit in your cars and move the window switch’s around (from side to side, not rocking them up and down as if you’re trying to open or close the window) see if you get a ticking sound. I suspect the window switches are resonating at higher road speeds. I can run my hand over all 4 switches lightly and get the noise immediately and constantly. I’ll video it later if I can.
Haven’t forgotten - New Year’s Day, alcohol and all that.....
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

smiles wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 pm It's a T5. I'm going to bring it to the dealer and tell them that I don't want the car back until it's fixed.
Please update here if your dealer finds it.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Pat Ronise wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:44 pm
Ok. So this MY annoying noise. The window buttons appear to resonate when the car goes over 40 mph. The noise sounds ‘heavy’ in the video but when driving, it’s much more high pitched because the switches are resonating rather than being moved by chunky fingers!!

Dominikanos

Post by Dominikanos »

Hey all, anyone found out, we have noise around 2000 rpm when gas pedal is pressed.
adio88

Post by adio88 »

I have the same crickets-like electronics noise in my XC40 T4 and I've made an appointment with my dealer, but reading this I'm really losing hope that they'll be able to do anything about it.. :'((

Has any of you managed to get this sorted?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'm pretty quick at noticing strange noises, and haven't had this on mine. Those that have, what year are your cars? Maybe they realised about it and fixed it in later cars. I notice dermottdog is 2019.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
adio88

Post by adio88 »

Mine is also 2019. RDesign T4 FWD, with Harman Kardon
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Dermottdog, driving home last night your video came to mind, so I tried what you were doing on my switches. They absolutely don't rattle at all. I'm guessing you must had a switch pack from a dodgy batch.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21