AAOS 3.1.9

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Just had a read of the manual and see that the software is updated in two stages. Firstly it is downloaded and this is where you have the choice of auto download or not. Too late for this version but I'm turning it off now!

Secondly, you get the message to install and either do it straightaway or schedule it.

I won't be rushing to do that even though today I was getting the clearway sign in a 30 limit!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

jy1

Post by jy1 »

ChrisLF Auto software update does give you the choice of install and also a choice of a preferred time. Sorry unsure about if turned off whether it'll check for updates.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gedger wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:45 pm I would strongly advise everyone to only download and do an update when you have a free day in case it goes wrong. On the day mine failed the roadside assistance had been to 3 other Volvos all exhibiting the same problem.
During my last Volvo service visit in May for brake pads change I talked with the manager about AAOS issues. His advise was don’t update unless you’re parked in a Volvo Service lot, so a technician can help you right away if something goes wrong. It sounded hilarious, but it might prove the smart thing to do.
gedger

Post by gedger »

Depends on your Volvo dealer. When I was waiting for my last service to be completed an owner came in having been brought there by a breakdown truck, they were told no one could look at it for a few days. The dealer organised a courtesy car but that was going to be a few hours....I'd much rather do the update at home when I have a charger in case of flat battery and let Volvo support come to me. A software update shouldn't cause a component failure just screw up the software system....

I was given a process by the Volvo Technician when they sorted my last borked updated.

Use blade key to get into car.
Use booster to start car (I now have a boost pack in car)
Run car for 30 minutes to put some charge in battery.
Disconnect negative battery lead (I now have a tiny socket set in car)
Wait 15 minutes and then connect battery.
This fixes most faults he's called to!!

Of course they can also connect the diagnostic equipment but he said that it often doesn't help. In my case absolutely nothing was logged....the dealer ran a full diagnostic 4 weeks later; nothing found.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
gedger

Post by gedger »

As a service and sacrifice to this community and not needing the car for 3 days I did the update.....drum roll......it worked.

The App however, was left stuck at...

IMG_4944.png

Which didn't inspire confidence. Visiting the car it seemed fine but took ages for the console to boot. As soon as it had finished the App updated to.

IMG_0245.jpeg

So I'm wondering if Volvo are delaying the first boot after install? My borked install resulting in a dead battery was possible caused by a failure to boot so it kept the car fully operational until such time as the battery died...we'll never know.

Further update, the App seemed confused still saying the old software was still installed. Stopping and restarting the App cleared the issue. Just been out for a test drive and a message popped up saying passenger airbag is on, never seen that one before....I would hope the passenger bag is on and it would only warn me when it"s turned off not the other way round...ho hum let's hope it's not a new feature!
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

It would be useful to know the model year/version of the cars where the install worked/failed.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
GKSmith

Post by GKSmith »

HI,

I updated yesterday from 3.1.2 to 3.1.9. It took a little over twenty minutes, with no issues discovered as yet. Regarding the mobile app (running on Android 14), that did not immediately update the car software version number, although it did tell me that the install was successful. I had to close the app completely, and remove it from my last used apps. I then relaunched the app and it showed the correct software version number for the car.
Thanks
Gavin
Volvo MY25 XC40 B3 Plus Onyx Black (Ordered Feb 04 24 - delivered June 12 2024)
percymon

Post by percymon »

Got the notification yesterday - set the schedule for 6pm when i knew the car would be at home with good signal.

Got the 'update complete' notification after 20 minutes.

Jumped in the car this morning...

1. selecting reverse turned the map off in the driver display
2. rear camera appeared initially a little dark - this might have been a one off though, the sun was at a very acute angle and as i reversed and turned the wheel the camera image was normal
3. had to re-arrange the app icons on the central display (as per every software update)
4. everything else appears as it was in 3.0.3; - so far Ive noticed anything else and efficiency on the commute this morning was in line with previous days.

Seems a lot of the software update issues are on hybrid drivetrain vehicles

2023 C40
2023 C40 Plus - Silver Dawn, 20" alloys
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

jy1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:01 pm Volvo Assistance sent local recovery firm, they got the blade key to work, tried usual computer trick - turn off/turn on by finding the 12v battery and disconnecting but to no avail. Car is showing more signs of life, warning on dash regarding e sos call- car still wont respond to key. The recovery firm refused to use wheel dollies to extract the car from the drive so now waiting for a Volvo technician tomorrow afternoon. I had a very reliable car prior to the update............#####
Your XC40 is pure electric, right?
jy1

Post by jy1 »

Yep, 2023 XC40, Recharge Ultimate P8 BEV