EU imposes EV tariffs - Geely @ 19.9%

The place to discuss everything else..
gedger

Post by gedger »

Geely is subject to 19.9%, that will make the EX30 less desirable in the EU. I wonder if the UK will follow suite? Probably!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy99z53qypko
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Seems to be at odds with the "Saving the Planet" mantra....
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

In several EU markets EX30 prices seem to be unchanged. Volvo will be under pressure to fast track EX30 production in Ghent.
Moss

Post by Moss »

To be very clear : the fact that Geely is the owner of Volvo Cars doesn't make most Volvo models Chinese cars. For the Volvo cars that we buy over here, and as far as I know, the EX30 and EX90 are the only real exceptions : those are Chinese cars indeed.
With the new EU tariffs, Volvo Cars (well, Geely) will no doubt have to produce the EX30 (and EX90) in Europe (in the Ghent Belgium plant) but that remains to be seen, because our German friends - and the French also, really - absolutely do not like the new EU tariffs idea, and trust me, if and when they say no, the actual value of the EU decisions is not greater than that of the paper they're printed on.
percymon

Post by percymon »

The big German manufacturers needed something to protect their home markets, high wage costs and high car prices. They simply cannot compete. Their lucrative market is the far east, most notably on vehicles they build locally, or top end large exec saloons where margins are high, so we will see how Chins responds).

Having spent three weeks in China recently, where I looked at many different brands displaying vehicles in shopping mall I can say the EU are way behind - forget poor build, poor materials, poor technology. Tesla was the only brand with presence on the roads, BMW, Mercedes and Audi were a very small portion of vehicles, whether EVs or not. Locals can buy a BYD saloon (similar size to Audi A4) for US$12k (and a free registration plate allocation for EV). The only thing preventing the demise of EU car manufacturers is the China home market demand.
2023 C40 Plus - Silver Dawn, 20" alloys
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I'm not against manufacturers from any country per se but it does concern me what the effects of China flooding the European market with cheap cars (well initially) will be. Trouble is many purchasers are only concerned about the bottom line and will buy them.

So I can understand why the EU are taking the action they are but the trouble is that whilst the Chinese market for BMW and Mercedes is relatively small it is a very lucrative one and hence why they are against the tariffs.

And China building factories in the EU isn't going to help either. Yes they will provide investment and jobs but they will also increase the pressure on European car makers and over time could go the way of the UK car manufacturers. With EVs China seem to have the upper hand due to government investment and battery manufacture and supply.

As I said I'm not against Chinese cars if they bring more choice and reasonable competition but I am concerned if they dominate the market as their plan seems to be. As always there has to be a reasonable balance.

Be interesting to see what effect the slowing of EV sales has. Looking at figures they are skewed as they tend to include PHEV as well as BEC.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

The other issue is the cost of repairs and spare parts availability for China sourced cars which is pushing everyone's insurance premiums up, Tesla is also included here. The manufacturers only care about making a sale and some of them may well walk away from the market in a few years once the profit has dwindled or they realise the cost of after sales support.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, I'd heard that as well with some cars being written off due to the cost of courtesy cars whilst waiting for parts. And I guess that will only get worse as the cars get older.

I know there has been delays for European car parts due to the war in Ukraine but alternative supplies have been set up.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.