New owner, couple of questions

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

The car defaults to hybrid mode every time and then it's up to you to change to another mode. I've set an Individual mode, which is Pure mode but with normal climate control which avoids the occasional misting up which occurs in Pure mode. Sometimes my car finds the need to start the engine and run it for a few minutes regardless of the mode. I'm sure it knows why!

Out of interest I continue to be amazed at how economical the car can be when running as a normal hybrid with depleted battery. Last evening I drove from SE London to Bournemouth. I was in no hurry so mostly holding 60 on the cruise control. The journal shows 02.58h, 142 mi, 2.6gal (54 mpg), 7.7kWh regenerated and consumed.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

clockworks

Post by clockworks »

Yes, I've set up the individual driving mode.

I was wondering what "rules" the car follows to decide whether to use the battery or the petrol engine if you leave it to think for itself, or what options to offer to the driver.

I.e. certain amount of charge in the traction battery and 12v battery, outside/inside temperature, climate settings, etc.
2021 T5 Inscription plug-in hybrid
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

The only thing I know is if you set a destination in the Satnav, it attempts to decide how to use the battery and engine. I seem to recall that only works if the journey is 50 or 60 miles. It never worked for me, so I use Pure (actually Individual) mode locally and on a journey switch battery save on when I get on the faster roads. At the other end I go back to Pure mode for the last slower bit.
clockworks

Post by clockworks »

I think I'll probably do the same thing for journeys over 20 miles - use the battery save function on faster roads.
Out of interest, can you use the battery save function in Pure mode, and it automatically switches to Hybrid mode?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I think it continues to show Pure (or Individual) mode on the display.
clockworks

Post by clockworks »

Another question:

If I have a charging schedule set in the app, does the car "remember" the schedule and start charging even if the app or the network go down?

Reason I ask is I just got home from the shops, plugged the charger in and turned on the socket. I then checked the app on my iPhone, and it was still showing the status from a day or two ago - battery fully charged. Driving journal was showing "error", and today's journey wasn't showing.

I shut down the app, signed in again, and everything is OK.
Wondering whether the car would've started charging on schedule if I hadn't checked and restarted the app?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I have no answer to that. I plug the car in when I get home and leave the car to it! I reasoned that a hybrid doesn't use enough electricity to benefit from the energy companies cheap rate deals, so just charge when I can.
clockworks

Post by clockworks »

I changed the schedule times today, as my switch to Octopus Go has just been activated. I watched the app carefully, and it said "sending schedule to car" for a few seconds, so it looks like the car stores the schedule, so no app needed once it is set.

On the subject of tariffs, I reckon switching to Octopus Go will save me around £35 a month. That's charging the car 4 times a week, using the immersion heater at night, and running the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer mostly at night. That means charging the car is completely "free" for me. Projected electricity use will be 4500kwh per year at the day rate (30.25p) and 3200kwh at the night rate (9p). Last year (without the car) we used just under 6000kwh.