Scuff/scratch

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Apologies if this has been raised before. Did a topic search but found nothing.

Out for lunch today. Jam packed car park. Back home and noticed this on rear offside door. The parallel lines suggest something like a plastic bumper swinging out on reverse.

I'm not so bothered about the trim. The door paint is more of a shallow scuff than a scratch.

Any thoughts as to a product I can use to buff it out/protect it?

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20220810_193825285.jpg

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Ouch!

If it’s just a paint scuff, a bit of T-Cut should sort it.

Alternatively, you could try getting a quote from a mobile scratch repairer (Autoscratch, or Chips Away etc) instead of a DIY job. I’ve used them in the past and found them very inexpensive. They can also sort out the plastic trim. They will come to your house, or place of work.

A few years ago, I had a nasty scratch polished out by a local body shop for £50 cash. It was a highly polished black V60 and I wasn’t skilled enough to tackle it myself. I got a perfect repair and he got £50 for 10 minutes work.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

That’s not great to come out to and not leaving any contact details is crappy.

If it’s taken the paint off, you’ll need a smart repair on it unfortunately.

If it’s possible it’s a bit of paint transfer as well, then definitely worth a go at trying to improve it. G3 do a very good scratch remover paste, used along side one of their white waffle applicators, it’s very effective. You’ll then need to polish the area afterwards.

Meguiars ultimate compound is another good one to try to help with improving it.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I had something similar, but we have a guy in the village who trades as "Dents & Scuffs". He's brilliant, used something on the black plastic, but painted the quarter panel (in our case) for £150. See if you can find a similar locally (try to get recommendations). I've used this guy for tidying up cars prior to P/Ex... Brilliant job for about £250...
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Does not look like the paint has been damaged, so if you attempt yourself, just make sure you use a mild-cutting compound especially for metallic paint as the clear coat is easily damaged. My view is T-cut will be your better bet and they do one for metallic, I would try that first as paste's may be a little too abrasive?
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

ChipsAway!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have a think.

Screenshot_20220811-152820.png

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

I suspect that Volvo's idea of trim supply/fit pricing differs somewhat 🤦🏻‍♂️
Mike. West Yorks.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

The trim does not look damaged just "rubbed" so a good polish with black trim restorer should do the trick, and unless their is a dent in the door - can't see why metallic T-cut will not get the scuff-mark out - £216 :shock:
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Oldie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:37 am The trim does not look damaged just "rubbed" so a good polish with black trim restorer should do the trick, and unless their is a dent in the door - can't see why metallic T-cut will not get the scuff-mark out - £216 :shock:
👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

My local Dents & Scuffs man had a paint for the textured plastic...