T5 Recharge question

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

CDR wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:28 pm
By the way I’m not having a go and am really grateful for any responses.
I didn't take your response as a dig honestly but as I said, I'm a bit of a data nerd so your process got me thinking. Yes it is valid but it has no value as a comparator. For me ppm is valid because there is a tangible outcome. The higher the value, the more money leaves my pocket which upsets the Yorkshireman in me :)

I suppose you could however apply the same calculation to a pure electric car and there is a chance you could claim a Tesla only does 30mpg under (very) certain circumstances. If you know any Tesla drivers, you now have something to wind them up with :)

Likewise, the Volvo on Call app has a great feature on the journey logging bit where if you do a journey purely on battery, it reports the journey was at infinity mpg.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Ford

Post by Ford »

I have just completed a 25 night family holiday to the south of Spain from Scotland, mostly by road (ferry from Plymouth to Santander). Total distance driven 2450miles. The car was heavily loaded (very) with 3 people and enough luggage for a month with no need to wear the same clothes both morning and afternoon! My wife had packed for a round the world trip.
Before leaving I feared that I might only achieve around 35mpg, however, I have been pleasantly surprised.
I left home with a full charge, charged again to full at an overnight hotel near Stoke on Trent (same on the return journey) and one full charge in Spain.
I used only 'Hybrid' drive mode and found that the initial 24miles of full charge would typically help out over about 150 - 200miles. By the time I got to Plymouth I had achieved 55mpg. This was virtually all motorway driving at 70 - 75mph.
Most of the approx 1600miles covered in Spain was on either motorway or main 'A road' but also a fair bit of driving into city centres. We tended to travel at the speed limit , so usually a maximum of 120kph on the motorways.
In Spain the temperature was normally in the 35 - 40 ºC range so Aircon was doing its thing all the time.
So, what did we achieve? ........47mpg :)
An improvement over the 44mpg from our 1.6l diesel auto 2WD Kia Sportage that we used for virtually an identical trip last year. This made me very happy. At home running mostly in 'Pure' mode means we are saving over £1000 per year in vehicle energy costs.
Happy Volvo owner.
XC40 T5 Recharge, Onyx Black, Blond, Polestar, Climate, Drivers Assist, Versatility Pack, 360o Camera, Privacy Glass, DC-3 Dash Cam, Wireless Charge, Android Auto.
Ordered 21st Oct.2021
Delivered 25th March 2022
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

A brilliant result, Ford. But I'm not surprised.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Ford, how many years do you reckon it'll take to recoup the increased purchase price from the energy savings?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.