Turtle icon - reduced performance

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Hi,

I’m sad to say I (among several others here) was a victim of the turtle icon in the middle of the highway.. :(

Volvo support told me to exit and turn around back home (30km trip).

I’ll be taking the car in for diagnostics next Monday..

I’ll keep posting news..
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus

Roma317

Post by Roma317 »

My screen said that I was low on fuel yesterday, so I called in at my local garage and filled up.

Last week the car informed me that the tyres had insufficient pressure so I topped them up with my electrical pump.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Roma317, not quite sure what point you're trying to make...
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Roma317 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:19 am My screen said that I was low on fuel yesterday, so I called in at my local garage and filled up.

Last week the car informed me that the tyres had insufficient pressure so I topped them up with my electrical pump.
Now imagine you’re with the whole family going to your rented vacation house and the turtle appears.. you still put in some fuel and top the tyres in the next gas station? No! This warning is not that simple!

You call it in and the recommendation is to head back home.. and goodbye vacations!

On a 1 year old new car with 8000km (~4.3k miles) on the clock..

Unless you’re trying to pretend this is not something to worry about, I also don’t get your point.. if it is, a little less sarcasm wouldn’t hurt.. and please do ignore this thread! Let’s hope you don’t have the turtle sign 🤞
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

So the car is back from the shop and they found no problem at all… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I asked if this happens again in the middle of a vacation trip what should I do, and the answer was: “ it’s an orange light, not a red one! You can keep on driving and when you’re finished head to another shop!”
And better: “sometimes this is only the beginning of a failing component, the first times these warnings show up are just and indication of a problem that might reveal itself in the future”.. 🤦‍♂️

:o I mean.. I would rather have a problem with the car! Now it will be a gambling game! Maybe the warning light means a real problem, maybe it’s just a software glitch.. if it was a problem, a replacement/fix would solve it! Right?

As is, it’s just an uncertainty.. what is up with these “soft cars” and their “soft errors” nowadays?

Who in its perfect mind would release such software?!!
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I've had this on older cars. Had a yellow engine light on my Ford Focus while in the middle of a 5 hour drive to a vacation.

I then bought an ODB2 reader, I suggest everyone gets one. If any problem shows up you can plug it into the socket and check the details on your phone, then make the decision to hope it goes away.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

We had something similar, a lower speed slowing to a stop incident with turtle light.

I don’t think the dealer could find anything wrong either, but flagged it up to Volvo UK, then Volvo Sweden, who authorised some sort of replacement part. No idea what. It’s been fine ever since.

Sadly you are left with having to endure most likely another breakdown before your dealer takes notice.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
Jamoeesh

Post by Jamoeesh »

I had the turtle light. Then 30 mins later it would t start and I ended up needing a new fuel pump on a two year old 31k KM car. I was disappointed. Now the brakes are groaning. I’m calling them tomorrow.
wpv

Post by wpv »

RealGoneKid - do you know what part (apparently) solved problem? I'm currently travelling in Europe, turtle/tortoise appeared twice and seriously slowed car. Volvo garage has looked but says no error found.
Motorway driving not appealing without some resolution!