Leaving engine on and car locked

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Is there anything to be aware of when leaving the engine on and car locked? This wouldn't be the pre-cooling via the app, which only lasts 10 minutes max, but just not turning the engine off, getting out and locking it.

Will the alarm be more likely to go off? Will it beep lots of warnings at me? Or will it just sit there chugging away nicely?

Need to take the cat to the vet on Monday in 40C+ heat, and have the car cool for when we come out.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I believe that it’s illegal to leave a vehicle unattended with engine running on UK public roads.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

It’s illegal if the car is left in a place that has public access (which a vets car park does)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I'd be happy to rely on the exemption that it's "not to be likely to endanger any person or property and is engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving machinery or apparatus forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle"

Any considerations other than legal ones?
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Why not just open all the windows and put Aircon on when you get back to the car? In my experience it only takes two or three minutes to cool off. But my Aircon is electric (phev) so yours might be different.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

How long are you going to be in vets for? Madness to leave car running un attended for what could be more than 10 minutes. So if you’re in there for 45 minutes are you going to leave car running and air con running at max? Ridiculous
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I used the pre-cooling for 5 minutes this week, and it was excellent!
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

What’s wrong with getting into a hot car anyway? Millions of people do it every day. Most survive.

If you really have to have a cool interior when getting into your car, you would be better using the pre-cooling app from your phone. However, this is still illegal to use in public places and bad for the environment.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

just not turning the engine off, getting out and locking it
Further to my previous comments; I might be wrong, but I don't think it's even possible to lock the car from the outside when the engine is running.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Read this and thought nah- they are only kidding - surely they are - are they - but just in case in a galaxy far far away someone may be contemplating leaving an engine running whilst away from a car - that would be a really silly thing to do, just think of the crowds on return - all awaiting the return of the owner - just to see what planet they are on, sorry I mean from - my advice, park in shade if you can and use the aircon on return ;)