Excessive Brake Wear

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

My understanding is two fold - regeneration capture on the rear brake and more level braking rather than the front dipping

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Oldie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:33 am My understanding is two fold - regeneration capture on the rear brake and more level braking rather than the front dipping
There’s no regeneration capture argument for this thread, the OP’s car is T4 AWD.
Deleted User 3629

Oh OK :shock: - wonder if regeneration is on B4's as their seems to be more wiring around that area ;)
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The 'braking regeneration' is misleading. It doesn't in any way use the brakes, but increases the alternator charging which has the effect of more engine retardation or 'braking'. It might I suppose lighten the physical braking on the front wheels to compensate for the engine braking on the front (even on the AWD I would imagine under braking it wouldn't be engaging the rear drive)

This applies equally to the old 12v stop start, and the new B series 48v
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Don't forget the rear brakes are part of the various stability control systems.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

There is one sure fact, when it comes to the rear brakes on an XC40 - it eats through brake-pads like tiny-Tim on a Christmas ham.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Excessive brake wear is not exclusive to XC40. My last car was a mk1 XC60 and needed new rear disks after 35k miles of gentle driving. Front brakes were fine. No fancy auto hand brake on that model.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Wil98

Post by Wil98 »

My xc40 has just gone in for it's 2nd service. Told it needs new discs and pads on the rears. The fronts are like new.

I don't use cruise control, its a manual with no brake regeneration. I turned off stability control months ago.

20k miles.

No decent explanation from the dealer apart from just wanting to book it in for the brakes replacements.

Not good.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I've noticed the lack of nose diving on heavy braking so I guess the rear brakes are doing most of the work. Front brakes on mine look new too after 10,000 miles.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Grumpyfrog

Post by Grumpyfrog »

I know I am the newbie on here but I am on my 4th Volvo.
I had a similar problem on my ex V90, in that the rears wore more than the fronts.
It was not excessive but a mechanic at my Volvo dealer said it was quite normal. His reasoning was, as mentioned before, the hill hold but he also offered that if you use adaptive cruise contro,l it is the rears that are mainly used to slow the car down.
If the O.P. uses neither the hill hold or adaptive c.c., then ????
XC40 B4, Ultimate, Fern Green, Blond int. Google.
ex. V90, V40 CC, S60