Excessive Brake Wear

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
BxUKXwp6CZ01

Post by BxUKXwp6CZ01 »

I have just had my 2nd service on my low mileage T4 AWD (Only 7,500 miles on the clock due to Covid and illness). Everything was fine with low, even, tyre wear but brake wear was 10% Front and 30% on the Rear. This certainly seems excessive on the rear, has anyone got an explanation as why it should be so high and disproportionate between front and rear ?
T4 AWD Inscription Auto Intellisafe Xenium Pack Winter Pack Tempa Spare Wheel

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I’m not 100%, but I seem to remember reading that the auto cruise uses the rear brakes to reduce speed… could have dreamt it and be talking poppycock though 🤪
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Auto hold, hill start, auto hand brake
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

In most situations brake bias is at the front, and normally wear would be 30% front and 10% rear, Volvo seems to have more bias to the rear and therefore more wear - if you feel your disks you may notice more of a ridge too on the rear disks than the front indicating more brake pressure being applied.
Deleted User 3629

Auto hold and hill start may also add to a little wear but doubt much as the car is not moving causing friction wear in these scenarios - it will be brake bias that produces the most wear difference.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

BxUKXwp6CZ01

Post by BxUKXwp6CZ01 »

Thanks for your comments, I have spoken to the Dealer who said having the auto hand brake setting "on" might be a mitigating factor, except I don't, then said it was a visual estimate and they were wearing rate was "normal". I appreciate that driving style would influence wear but I am a gentle driver and over that last 40 years of owning new cars I have never needed to have brake discs replaced (my SAAB 95 had 76,000 miles on the clock - all were serviced annually by main dealer)
As OLDIE suggests the brake bias may explain the Front/Rear wear difference - could the bias be altered ? Can any one else comment on their brake wear rate to help me to gauge whether it is my driving style or the car.
I do use the Auto Speed Limiter which does of course apply the brakes to keep you strictly within the speed limit - do you think brake wear might be affected adversely as a result?
Thanks again everyone for your comments
T4 AWD Inscription Auto Intellisafe Xenium Pack Winter Pack Tempa Spare Wheel
stu22

Post by stu22 »

On our old XC40 we went down to 90% worn in 18000 miles, think the braking is heavily rear biased - don't believe that auto handbrake will have anything to do with it.
Deleted User 3629

I doubt its you or your driving style, believe its just how the XC40 brakes are - its usual to change two sets of fronts to one set of rears, but in the Volvo's case it looks like its the other way round - here's a thought - rear's being smaller, wonder if the rear brakes are cheaper to replace than the fronts, and if they are - maybe that then could be seen as a plus?
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I'd be interested to know the justification Volvo has for this. The straightforward physics is that the centre of gravity moves forward under braking, placing more weight on the front wheels, which will therefore stand more braking effort. As a biker, the rear brake on dry roads is really only used to keep the back in line with the front. 90% of the braking comes from the front wheel....