Start in different mode

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Is there any way to set the default driving mode to anything other than "Comfort". The manual seems to say you can't, but I feel I have seen reference to doing this in the forum although I can't find it with search. It doesn't seem like an outrageous thing to do!
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist

72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

No, it always defaults to Comfort mode.
Annoying, but I now find it second nature to press the mode button twice after start up to select my chosen Individual mode.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I need to check - but I’m sure I’ve got an option in the settings as to which mode to be ‘default’…
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

pwliv wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:51 am Is there any way to set the default driving mode to anything other than "Comfort". The manual seems to say you can't, but I feel I have seen reference to doing this in the forum although I can't find it with search. It doesn't seem like an outrageous thing to do!
You can't because under EU emissions regulations the car must start by default in the mode it was tested in. This is the same for all cars now.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

Can this not be set up under individual driver profile ?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Snow man wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:51 am Can this not be set up under individual driver profile ?
No. There’s no way to set up the car to start in Individual Mode. All you can do is start the engine and double click on Drive Mode button, car then will be in Individual Mode until full engine shutdown.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Snow man wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:51 am Can this not be set up under individual driver profile ?
No it can't. You can't because under EU emissions regulations the car must start by default in the mode it was tested in. This is the same for all cars now.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I always thought it strange that Volvo had the XC40 tested in Comfort mode instead of Eco. The manual tells us that “Drive mode Eco can help you with more eco-friendly driving, with greater fuel economy. Use this drive mode to save fuel and the environment”.

It makes a mockery of the regulations though when, after being tested, the manufacturer can make changes to the car design that negatively affects fuel consumption (and therefore increases emissions). Regardless of what mode you start in, having a different brand of tyres fitted, or just changing tyre pressures can also have an effect on emissions; albeit very small.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

KeithR56 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:53 pm I always thought it strange that Volvo had the XC40 tested in Comfort mode instead of Eco. The manual tells us that “Drive mode Eco can help you with more eco-friendly driving, with greater fuel economy. Use this drive mode to save fuel and the environment”.

It makes a mockery of the regulations though when, after being tested, the manufacturer can make changes to the car design that negatively affects fuel consumption (and therefore increases emissions). Regardless of what mode you start in, having a different brand of tyres fitted, or just changing tyre pressures can also have an effect on emissions; albeit very small.
Not everyone wants to drive in eco snail mode. Comfort is just another name for the normal or standard mode. The climate control works as intended unlike in eco. Eco isn't the normal mode as key functions of the car are working in a reduced capacity.

The big flaw in regulations is the driver. It could be in eco and driven in such a way to as to drink more fuel...likewise different drivers achieve different mpg in comfort mode.

Thankfully there are three road style drive modes to choose from to suit different peoples desires and needs.

All the regulations are trying to achieve is a level playing field under which the cars have been tested at that time. The driver is only ever tested once usually and not for economy.
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I tried eco mode for a week, irritating drive without a scrap of difference in consumption.