Interesting comparison...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

My B4 R-Design auto 4WD is in today for it's first annual service, and I have a mechanically identical 71 plate Momentum as a loaner. There is a stunning difference in the way the auto changes, my R-Design can be very snatchy and jerky if you try to "make progress" (to quote the IAM). The Momentum is way better, so I'm hoping that there will be a software update that will sort mine out... If not it'll be back in to see what can be done!

Deleted User 3359

Well, interesting experience having had a full software update my R-Design has A MUCH better gear change profile and has lost all the jerking...
Mervin

Post by Mervin »

My R Design B4 AWD 2021 is due for its first service tomorrow. Will give feedback tomorrow.
2023 B4 Plus Dark AWD.Driver Assist and BLIS Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel. Black
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

The specified gearbox changed from eight speed TC to a seven speed DSG. This change was effective from around November 2021. I have a January 2022 B4 R-Design with seven speed DSG gearbox. It is extremely smooth except when starting, the change up from 1st gear to 2nd gear is then sometimes noticeable but all other gear changes are smooth as silk. It is just brilliant.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
Stable-Mabel

Post by Stable-Mabel »

I have a November 2021 T3 Auto - 8 speed box, maybe one of the last few 8 speeds.
All my previous cars have been autos and this is as good if not better than most: with maybe just the BMW 8 speed box being just that tiny bit better.
The T3 is smooth and very quiet.
Deleted User 3359

My B4 AWD is 8 speed auto, as was the loaner...
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I've not noticed snatching until I was towing last week. Every time I pulled away it would start to roll then there was a jerk. Started to get me down, thought it was me being too boy racer, but no matter how gently I accelerated it happened every time.

Starting to think that even though it's a TC, there's a lock up clutch which may be how they also do the coasting.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3359

Felindre wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:18 am I've not noticed snatching until I was towing last week. Every time I pulled away it would start to roll then there was a jerk. Started to get me down, thought it was me being too boy racer, but no matter how gently I accelerated it happened every time.

Starting to think that even though it's a TC, there's a lock up clutch which may be how they also do the coasting.
There certainly is a lock up in the 8spd TC box... When lock up first came in (in the 80's when I was working for Volvo) it only happened on top gear (I recall it was the ZF4 spd, rather than the AW 3+overdrive one), but with the 8 spd it's certainly present in at least 5 or 6 ratios at the top end...
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Had what I thought was an issue with this "lock-up" feature last year - coasting along at 30mph or so (4th/5th ratio) and you could feel a slight vibration/rumble sensation when in drive, switch to manual and it stopped - was told this was normal and a feature of lock-up when the revs of the engine and revs of the gearbox and equal or something like that??