New member saying hi

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Just found the forum so I thought I would sign up and say hi.

Bought our T4 R Design Pro new back in March. First Volvo. Love the car but unfortunately it does have its faults.

Currently with the dealer due to wiper failure. They think that is connected with a previous headlight malfunction and the centre console going off. Waiting for a software update that won’t be available until mid-December. Also got issues with the anti-collision system engaging randomly for no reason, the rain sensitive wipers can’t seem to tell how heavy the rain is and the active main beam won’t always disengage.

More worrying, they found today that a seal behind the bulkhead was incorrectly fitted at the factory and water is getting in. They are currently drying out the electrics and carpets before deciding what to do with the software between now and December! Unfortunately past experience says that once water gets in, there will be no end of problems.
Family car: XC40 T4 R-Design Pro in Crystal white
Commuting car: Ford Focus ST diesel
Fun Car: Subaru Impreza

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Sorry to hear of your problems, they seem to be more than the usual software related stuff.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Sorry to hear of your issues - I had a similar issue but mine (apparently) was due to a failure of the windscreen bonding. Initially diagnosed in February and then due to Covid and me being in France it only got fixed 2 weeks ago. The interim period led to various systems failing, sunroof, interior lights, SRS airbag warning etc.
They had to replace the wiring in the SRS and BCM modules as a result of the water getting into the car.

I am sure they will fix it but check everything once they give it back.

Good luck
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

The water ingress issue doesn’t seem to be as severe an issue as first suggested, and everything was much drier than anticipated.

Volvo UK have confirmed all the other issues are known software problems. This is from the software update from Volvo for the recall for the anti-collision system.

So, Volvo have broken the car by putting on software that is completely up the wall and whilst they are working on a solution, that won’t be until mid-December. Currently have stalemate as I am refusing to accept the car back unfixed as I can’t have a car heading into a west of Scotland winter not knowing if the wipers will work from one downpour to the next, while Volvo UK think that’s a perfectly acceptable situation so won’t provide a replacement car in the meantime. Currently have a car from the dealer but that is only until the end of this week.
Family car: XC40 T4 R-Design Pro in Crystal white
Commuting car: Ford Focus ST diesel
Fun Car: Subaru Impreza
moatschool

Post by moatschool »

hi all volvo people i am new but went on the site first to find out about the sim for my car i have found this which if you have just got a new xc40 please see this as volvo gives you a new sim free https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/en-g ... -in-the-uk
Regards to all
moatschool
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

moatschool wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:18 pm hi all volvo people i am new but went on the site first to find out about the sim for my car i have found this which if you have just got a new xc40 please see this as volvo gives you a new sim free https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/en-g ... -in-the-uk
Regards to all
moatschool
This idea came way after i collected my XC40 - I use the Three 24 month / 24GB SIM that they offer - cost me 45 pounds in the end.
moatschool

Post by moatschool »

Hi Volvo xc40 fans or not i spent a lot on money for my car apart from the sim running out after one year it was the year we all did not drive our cars so having a sim that runs out i am very unhappy about the car top of the range car with rubbish rubbish car driver screen information on my old car BMW it came with all internet info news weather rain in real time ho yes sat nav
BUT how many of you got the seats with the leg support which i need so i paid extra for that my bug bear is the seats fine leather but with no support my bolster after two years and 6k miles under its belt the bolsters that suppose to keep you in place are squashed god knows what they will be like in 5 years so i will be getting rid of it next year i have decided to get my wife a car she likes of all things a DICIA duster and i will be driving my 1978 range rover 3 door with seat bolsters and leg exction that are all good thank you volvo its been rubbish
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

moatschool wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:14 am Hi Volvo xc40 fans or not i spent a lot on money for my car apart from the sim running out after one year it was the year we all did not drive our cars so having a sim that runs out i am very unhappy about the car top of the range car with rubbish rubbish car driver screen information on my old car BMW it came with all internet info news weather rain in real time ho yes sat nav
Seems a bit unfair to complain about the one year SIM expiring - it's not Volvo's fault that there was a global pandemic and the SIM's are clearly setup for a 12 month period so that part is handled by whoever the SIM is associated to - Vodafone ?

Enjoy your old technology cars with questionable safety features - I will stick to Volvo :D