C40 Recharge - new Volvo model

The place to discuss everything else..
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Salmonfisher wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 pm I thought that I had read it was to be a bit cheaper and come in just below the £50k to get £3K grant.
The other announcement was that Volvo are doing a Tesla and all sales will move on line with limited options and set prices. I am more concerned about that. I like dealing with local dealers and being able to (try) and negotiate discounts and choose the options I want and not just what is lumped together. I can see why Volvo want to go this way, simpler, bigger profits, quicker delivery, no discounts but I don't see it a benefit for buyer. Or am I a dinosaur?
The benefit for the customer should reflect in a lower purchasing cost, but I’m not sure how many will appreciate the lack of customizability that comes with selling cars online. In Germany, XC40 Pure Recharge can be bought only online and the configurator already resembles Tesla’s, there are just a couple of choices available and options are lumped together into one expensive pack (to get HK audio, I am forced into a 4000 EUR pack that contains options I would otherwise never choose). It will also be interesting to see if the price for servicing will increase after the dealer makes no margin on new car sales...

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 am It will also be interesting to see if the price for servicing will increase after the dealer makes no margin on new car sales...
For decades the dealers have moaned about the small margins on new car sales and how they have to spend big money on fancy showrooms.

So by that argument if they are only now service centres and used car sales locations, they should be happy :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Vulgar Duty

Post by Vulgar Duty »

Been buying new cars online since 2003. Order and they turn up outside your house on a low-loader. Never had an issue.
StevO

Post by StevO »

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/113 ... ive-review

Thought someone might like this, only had a quick look so please don't moan at me if it's no good lol
StevO 8-)

[Prac] R-Design D3 FWD Manual in Bursting Blue
| Convenience, Winter Plus, Xenium Packs | BLIS |
| Intellisafe Plus | Keyless Start | Phone Integration |

[Fun] Mk7 Golf GTI PP in Tornado Red
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Car sales is never a big earner for dealers, they're lucky to finish up with a 5% margin, and that's on the wholesale price before taxes are added. When I worked for Volvo, the dealership I took over was on it's knees because although they were selling 850 new cars a year they were largely into fleet and they never came back for service. Gross profit on labour hours is huge (possibly 80%) and that was the engine that made the dealership a success... Mine dropped from 850 to about 600 cars, but the profitability went from £80k a year loss to £100k a year profit... Mind you it was back in the 80's
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Dunno, dealers always seem to afford massive showroom makeovers. There must be money somewhere.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21