Cricket Electronic Sound Only When Pressing Gas Pedal

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

I have this noise since day 1 and it’s really starting to nag at me. If you have the windows up and radio off, travelling at normal road speeds, I notice a sound that seems to come from the left driver vent but it only happens when actually pressing the gas pedal. It’s not the typical engine noise. Almost sounds like a cricket electronic type sound. As soon as you lay off the pedal, sound goes away.

Any ideas what if might be?

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

jagstyles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:51 am I have this noise since day 1 and it’s really starting to nag at me. If you have the windows up and radio off, travelling at normal road speeds, I notice a sound that seems to come from the left driver vent but it only happens when actually pressing the gas pedal. It’s not the typical engine noise. Almost sounds like a cricket electronic type sound. As soon as you lay off the pedal, sound goes away.

Any ideas what if might be?
Which car model, year & engine have you got?

I hear the turbo (as you do to some degree with all cars) but nothing from the vent in my car.

There were some posts about air flow from the left hand side due to something, I remember reading something in this forum last year but cannot find the posts - so well worth a search.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Deleted User 2490

Post by Deleted User 2490 »

I think the sound of leather on willow could be quite a relaxing sound.
😀
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

Hello,

I have the exact same issue. Car has been brought to dealership 3 times already but they failed to find the issue. Mine is T4 FWD.
Did your dealer managed to find the issue? I'd really appreciate your feedback if your car is fixed.

Thanks
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

I still have the issue, looking for feedback
Jimothyhike

Post by Jimothyhike »

What model are you driving?
I’ve had a D3 for 2 1/2 weeks and have noticed a similar sound from behind the steering wheel area... been back to dealer(other issues with headlight fault as well) and reported it. They spent 2 hours taking it for drives but couldn’t hear it. They noticed a creaking from the door area which they rectified but not the electrical type clicking noise Incan hear
I found it more prevalent between 30-60mph both accelerating and when lifting off.
Have to play music loud to avoid hearing it as it is quite annoying.
They advised me to record it (which I managed to do on the way back home but it’s an hours drive to the dealer for me!) and send it in. I’ll send it tomorrow and see what they say....
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

I am driving a T4.

The noise you are describing is similar to what I also hear but the difference is:
- The noise is only heard when pressing the gas pedal.
- The noise is always the same intensity, no matter how hard you press the gas pedal, no matter the speed you are driving.

They were able to hear the noise. They spent hours and hours on my vehicle but couldn't find the cause.

Good luck and let me know if your dealer finds something.
smiles

Post by smiles »

Did anyone ever figure out what it is? This has been plaguing me ever since I bought the car.
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

Still not fixed. Tried 3 different dealers... They hear the noise, try to fix it, but they always fail...

Which engine do you have?
smiles

Post by smiles »

It's a T5. I'm going to bring it to the dealer and tell them that I don't want the car back until it's fixed.