Out of Warranty Servicing Options

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

I know quite a lot of people continue to use Volvo dealers when their cars go out of warranty, it's part of the dempgraphic, but I have 2 objections to that; one is the cost of course - the dealer labour rates are very high, the second convenience - my nearest dealers are 40-50 minutes away and in places I'd not choose often to visit. I fortunately have the choice of 2 or 3 very good independent garages for servicing, one only 100m from my work.

So, what are the benefits of using Volvo out of warranty? I've heard that the roadside recovery is extended, but that's not a deal breaker. And also that the "Connected Services" get extended FOC. Anyone know what the actual annual subscription cost is if paying for oneself - mines an AAOS car so not a simple SIM swap top a data SIM.

Any other benefits of using a Volvo main dealer?

TIA
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Regarding connected services, Volvo Cars app won’t work without a subscription on AAOS or Sensus. For Sensus cars a data SIM can be placed in the Sensus car’s modem, but that connection will work only for map downloads, live traffic and music streaming (Spotify and TuneIn Radio).

Without a subscription the AAOS car can connect to the internet for downloads, navigation and streaming with a mobile hotspot powered by USB-C or the 12V socket in the boot. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089ZFZK5L ... X0VNS162NJ
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

GRAF wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:16 pm And also that the "Connected Services" get extended FOC.
This is not the case when I have my XC40 serviced at the main dealer (Marshall Volvo, Nottingham). I have a third party service agreement with EMAC, arranged through the dealer, and they say that this invalidates the extension of connected services. I think it cost me about £34 to extend via the app last year.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Connected services on Sensus embedded SIM use low data volume for app commands, high data volume for music streaming and map download being linked to the customer’s P-SIM. If one year extension on Sensus low data volume is £34, I wonder how much would GRAF’s scenario cost for AAOS, where the unique embedded SIM requires huge amount of data for audio streaming, app downloads, app usage and OTA system updates.
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

eugen61 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:57 pm Connected services on Sensus embedded SIM use low data volume for app commands, high data volume for music streaming and map download being linked to the customer’s P-SIM. If one year extension on Sensus low data volume is £34, I wonder how much would GRAF’s scenario cost for AAOS, where the unique embedded SIM requires huge amount of data for audio streaming, app downloads, app usage and OTA system updates.
Indeed, though I suppose there aren’t (m)any AAOS cars out of warranty yet, so maybe no-one here has decided to go outside the dealer network and pay a subscription yet.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I went third party extended warranty with motoreasy I paid an uplift to use Volvo dealerships rather than their preferred garages,
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

GRAF wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:54 pm Indeed, though I suppose there aren’t (m)any AAOS cars out of warranty yet, so maybe no-one here has decided to go outside the dealer network and pay a subscription yet.
Status and extension options can be checked in the Volvo Cars app. Go on the car icon from the bottom tab, Active Services, Connected Services.

“Your car's subscription expires xx.xx.xxxx To keep the car connected, you need to renew the subscription. This will enable your car to:
• Share data about its status (e.g. location, locks)
• Control climatization remotely from the Volvo Cars app, call center and digital assistants
• Share journal log
• Remotely controlling the locks
Did you know that if you service your car at an authorized retailer you'll get 12 months subscription for free?
This subscription can be extended when it's 60 days or less until it expires. You will be reminded when it's time to extend.”
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

I was aware of the above, but my question was more about what the subscription costs if I get my car serviced outside of the dealer network. Assuming the Volvo labour rate is c£200 / hr, and the local independent i# around £100 - £120 then the saving on a service would be over £100. Would the annual subscription be more?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I believe all AAOS cars have a 4 year inclusive subscription, AAOS was introduced in 2021? Therefore Volvo have yet to advise of the renewal price or if it will be bundled with servicing.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Yep, that’s what I thought. Mines not out of warranty until July 26 anyway, so assuming I still have the car I’ll check neater the time.