B4P fuel use in Eco mode

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Had a little run across to the A1 and down to Donny yesterday, and finally remembered to try Eco mode.

Our B4 is mainly used on local knocking around, with consumption to match ☹️

So I was delighted with getting on for 45mpg on that run. Will aim for at least that when we motor down to the Loire Valley in July.

Screenshot_20220423-111454~2.png

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

This is it, you can make good swift steady progress in the 50/60 mph range and get good mileage. I've kept a spreadsheet (sad I know) since I've had the car. Often get around 40 or better, best I've had 52.3 on a 7.4 mile trip. So it can be quite economical.

Worst I get, no surprise, is towing the caravan which has a front end with horrendous aerodynamics, best doing around 40/50 due to bad sidewinds was 22 mpg!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Felindre, back in the day, before we retired from the camping malarkey, we bought a new folding camper, when my towcar was a Passat. It wasn't cheap, but we went for it because we could garage it, and it avoided the towing hit you describe.

When you report your non-tow numbers, is this in Eco drive mode?
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Sort of, my default is custom mode with engine in ECO everything else normal. I find the accelerator is less aggressive in this mode and it gives me coasting. So my default at drive away is a double press of the mode button to go into custom, wish it would remember by default.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

I'll have to try that. Those numbers are impressive 👏🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Impressive figures there Mike 👍🏻

Hopefully on a decent run in a few months of a couple of hundred miles, so I’ll try the Eco out again 😁
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Felindre wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:45 pm Sort of, my default is custom mode with engine in ECO everything else normal. I find the accelerator is less aggressive in this mode and it gives me coasting. So my default at drive away is a double press of the mode button to go into custom, wish it would remember by default.
I need to look again to double check - but I can set mine to default to whichever mode I choose.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Just back from a short break in North Yorkshire which has been my car’s first “leisure” road trip where I haven’t been in a rush to get where I’m going.

The first leg of my journey was 86.1 miles from Wigan to Thirsk (scenic route) in 2:02 hours using individual mode and I achieved 45.5mpg. Not trying too hard, just taking my time and enjoying the drive.

Yesterday, part of the return journey was 117.6 miles from Malton to Chorley in 3:08 hours. This time I was trying to beat the 45.5 figure by using the coasting feature as much as possible and gentle acceleration, but only achieved 39.7mpg. So it seems it’s best not to try too hard.

My individual mode is Eco engine and display, then everything else normal so I get the full benefit of climate control etc.

The worst mpg I’ve had since owning the car was 11.8mpg. It really doesn’t provide good fuel consumption on short journeys in cold weather. Which is a pity because most of my usage is short journeys. The salesman told me that I should get around 35mpg on local journeys.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Mervin

Post by Mervin »

I’m achieving about 32 mpg for mixed driving in Eco mode. This is slightly higher than the displayed reading as I use actual fuel used after refuelling. Best overall mpg was last month when I drove to Ghent in Eco Mode getting about 40 mpg. I have AWD version.
2023 B4 Plus Dark AWD.Driver Assist and BLIS Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel. Black