Tips on fuel consumption.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@CJ - The price of premium fuels maybe a con but not the fuel itself ;) . With 35-yrs experience you should know that many performance (or older) engines need the higher level of hydrocarbons present in premium fuels to prevent knocking - and the arrival of E10 makes the case for using premium fuels for theses engines even greater.

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:39 am @CJ - The price of premium fuels maybe a con but not the fuel itself ;) . With 35-yrs experience you should know that many performance (or older) engines need the higher level of hydrocarbons present in premium fuels to prevent knocking - and the arrival of E10 makes the case for using premium fuels for theses engines even greater.
Modern performance engines will run perfectly well on E10. How many older cars do you see about that won’t run on E10?. Not many. Putting performance fuel in a modern XC40 is a total waste of money.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ropetko wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:48 pm I drive XC40 R-Design D4 with AWD and 190hp and that's not the fuel-saving car. Still, for the last year my overall average mpg is 34.38 (6.8 l/100 km) and my highway cruising speed is usually 125 kmph or 80 mph (115 or 70mph up the steep hills, up to 140 or 90mph downhill).
You converted l/100km figures into US MPG. Posters on the forum are using UK MPG, so for us your overall consumption of 6.8l/100km is 41.54 mpg
Deleted User 3629

@CJ - totally agree that to run an XC40 petrol on anything other than E10 is a waste of money, and why, because it is designed to do so :o . But maybe you know less than your 35-years in the industry should command, as many performance engines and some older engines would not run happy doing the same - a friend has a collection of cars to include a DB11, and Ferrari California and a 68 Stingray - which won't run well on anything less than 98 Octane ;) .
Deleted User 3629

Oh and the RAC suggests that as many as 600,000 cars on the road today won't run well on E10.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:30 pm @CJ - totally agree that to run an XC40 petrol on anything other than E10 is a waste of money, and why, because it is designed to do so :o . But maybe you know less than your 35-years in the industry should command, as many performance engines and some older engines would not run happy doing the same - a friend has a collection of cars to include a DB11, and Ferrari California and a 68 Stingray - which won't run well on anything less than 98 Octane ;) .
Yeh maybe your right. I know nothing, you know everything (shame you don’t read replies and take note of what people are actually saying)

(That’s only 1.5% by the way so very few)
Deleted User 3629

Not at all CJ - just helping to correct, when you read, something that perhaps you feel maybe wrong or misleading - for example, stating that premium fuels are a con - now, someone reading that who may have been told their car needs premium fuels to run correctly may think - am I being conned :o - when in reality their vehicle like 600,000 others, as suggested by the RAC, can't run on anything less without running into problems - oh and its more like 3% of vehicles on the road - still not a high percentage, but double what has been suggested.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:13 pm Not at all CJ - just helping to correct, when you read, something that perhaps you feel maybe wrong or misleading - for example, stating that premium fuels are a con - now, someone reading that who may have been told their car needs premium fuels to run correctly may think - am I being conned :o - when in reality their vehicle like 600,000 others, as suggested by the RAC, can't run on anything less without running into problems - oh and its more like 3% of vehicles on the road - still not a high percentage, but double what has been suggested.
You are very good at rubbing people up the wrong way. Read your replies (to other threads as well) but I doubt you’ll see how (telling me I might not know as much as I think for starters). I’ll leave it there
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Remember that you can select a forum member as a Foe (click on their forum name and select the option) and you will no longer see their posts....heavenly at times
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deleted User 3629

@blastpipe - thanks for the advice :) - CJ accuses me but does not see his own replies - some folk just cant take the medicine they dish out :(