Tips on fuel consumption.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

With petrol prices at an all time high, I thought it might be good to start a thread to see if anyone has any serious tips on keeping fuel consumption down while driving.

I’ve an XC40 T3 Auto and have set the ‘individual’ driving mode up to basically mirror the eco one, but with a couple of minor changes (I don’t like engine cut out when idleing as the restart is uncomfortable).

So far on long journey times on motorways I’ve not worked out yet if cruise control is more or less efficient. Anyone know?

Feel free to add your own tips below
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.

Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Cruise control is definitely more efficient as, without it, you tend to overcompensate when going uphill and apply more throttle than is needed.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Many drive these days with a lead foot, heavy braking and leave no space with the vehicle in front :shock: . Advance driving skills teach anticipation and a light foot, and this is what really saves fuel and makes for good hyper-miles :D . To learn anticipation well, have in your thoughts to do the journey without touching your brakes, now of course that will be impossible to totally do, but your driving style in the attempt to do so will change, your awareness and anticipation will increase, your acceleration will be lighter and your space between the vehicle in front will increase - learn this method and watch tour MPG increase :D .
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I follow all of this learned from towing a caravan, which is much harder to get rolling again. Cruise is also great for towing the caravan.

I also use coasting, it definitely improves my consumption according to the driver graph. Again it's down to reading ahead and anticipating, e.g. Approaching my home there's a gentle rise from the crossroads, then a drop, rise again, then the turning downhill into the village. I lift off before the first rise, with momentum carrying me to the first and second rises and for the rest of the journey, until I turn into my drive.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

My driving instructor advised me (many, many years ago) to drive as if you have a glass of water balanced on the car's bonnet...i.e., use a light foot, steer gently and anticipate. ..as Oldie and Felindre said.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

Just for info:

My daily pottering around to local shops, family, etc I get <27 mpg
Long trips, eg 50 - 400 miles in one go I get > 40 mpg

I brake as little as possible, but I do like to accelerate briskly

So go for long trips

T4 Inscription AWD 2020
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I drive XC40 R-Design D4 with AWD and 190hp and that's not the fuel-saving car. Still, for the last year my overall average mpg is 34.38 (6.8 l/100 km) and my highway cruising speed is usually 125 kmph or 80 mph (115 or 70mph up the steep hills, up to 140 or 90mph downhill). I can say I'm satisfied with the consumption, especially on highways and in the spring/autumn, when I get 36 mpg (6.5 l/100km). I even achieved 40 mpg on one 200 miles highway drive, but that was a ride from a country to the seaside.

What @RonFleet said is totally right: you should drive as if you have a glass of water balanced on the car's bonnet. Or as if you have a CEO like Bill Gates in the back seat :)

Anticipation is crucial and being light on the both feet. Use Eco mode when you can and I have to say I found it useless on highway speeds over 120 kmh or 75 mph, but find it useful in the city. There's no difference in consumption on such or higher speeds on highways, but if you have longer slight downhill routes, drive them with Eco mode on. Switch it off while driving back ;)
Some say that Eco mode is more useful while driving with Cruise Control and navigation ON, since CC can use the map information about the next hill and use it for anticipation, but I didn't do enough tests to prove that.
Fill the Diesel tank with Premium fuel every 1000 miles, you don't need it all the time and regular Diesel can sometimes even get better MPG. If you are driving Petrol or Hybrid, use Premium fuel all the time, or similar additives.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Premium fuels are quite frankly a con….and yes I do know what I’m talking about having been in the fuel industry for 35 years
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
dr nosh

Post by dr nosh »

I am a motorcyclist as well as an XC40 driver, and my motorcycle riding is all about anticipation, coming up to a roundabout for example, slow down through the gears, watch the traffc from the right and plan your entry, and exit without having to stop and just keep rolling.
Drive the car the same, but there will always be some knucklehead who wants to get into the gap between you and the car in front :x
Volvo XC40 SUV 1.5T3 163 SS EU6 R Design Auto 8 Thunder Grey
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I drive as smoothly as I can, though not primarily for obtaining the best fuel consumption, but often unfortunately my best efforts are spoiled by other aggressive drivers, like those who cut in on the motorway and fill the sensible gap that I've left and then I have to lift off and regain speed again.

I drive at sensible speeds, I'm not talking slow and accelerate gently and you get tailgated. The other day I was coasting up to red traffic lights where a car was already stopped and a following car overtook me and cut in front of me and had to then stop as the lights hadn't changed! I then followed him/her for a considerable distance!

And don't mention my Audi TT, it's like a red flag to a bull. I can be driving bang on the lower speed limits i.e. 30 to 60 and many drivers see fit to sit on my bumper as if they are trying to prove something. Van drivers are often guilty of this. I can leave them for dead, along with many cars if I wanted to, especially around the twisty bits but why should I speed because of some aggressive idiot?

I'm so glad I don't have to commute anymore as trying to drive gently and economically was almost impossible as other drivers would walk all over you, especially at islands and traffic lights. That's one of the downsides of modern cars with powerful engines and brakes as they encourage aggressive driving from many drivers.

Economic driving is very laudable but sadly can be difficult to achieve sometimes due to other road user's attitudes and driving.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.