XC40 vs XC60

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I currently enjoy my XC40 Inscription B4 AWD and wondered if anyone has had an XC60 and could offer any comparison insights as to Drive, Comfort, Handling, etc.
I'm considering putting an order in for the XC60 Ultimate T8 PHEV. A question on that too, if I don't charge it up can I get it to self charge so as to maintain performance?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Hi. 2 answers to your questions here, although the second one probably isn't very helpful.
XC40 v XC60: I have a 40 R design B4 FWD and my father in law has a 60 Momentum B5 FWD. In my opinion the 40 looks way better, a lot more stylish on the outside with a lot more road presence. Its sportier inside and the 50 hp less (B4 to B5) is gained by the weight difference. The XC60 has a slightly more luxury "top end" ambiance by design
although the XC40 is still a high quality finish and they are both really comfortable. Really its down to choice but I prefer the XC40.
As for going electric, I thought about this long and hard before buying my 2L petrol B4, and did some extensive research. The battery technology is still very much in its infancy at the moment and is predicted to go through at least 2 major evolutions over the next 5 to 10 years potentially making the current tech outdated and consequently affecting the resale price. I have therefore decided to wait a little longer before moving away, either partly of fully, from fossil fuel propulsion. Again only my opinion.
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Re. your last question: it will passively self-charge in hybrid mode when you brake; and when you brake or coast if you select B mode.

It will also actively self-charge if you select this mode from the main screen. This uses the power from the petrol engine to charge the batteries and is limited to an 80% charge if I remember correctly. The fuel economy takes a big hit if you do this though, and for me, the economics don't make sense (i.e. it costs you more than it saves).
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@PlymDave. I can't agree more, but my dilemma is what to buy! I've always bought my cars cash, but due to an issue with my last new car breaking down and me selling it for a high secondhand price i found myself unable to buy anything new due to current market issues, so I went down the Volvo Subscription route with the XC40. I like it very much but I cannot keep it beyond 3 years with no option to buy. I'm also paying a premium to have the 3 month Flexible Subscription so not very cost efficient unless you take advantage of swapping your car often. But very little choice of cars for a self confessed petrol head!
My typical usage benefits from AWD which appears to have been dropped from the UK MY23 XC40 Lineup and I cannot find out if it's a temporary situation. And as every day passes fewer and fewer petrol cars are being offered across the board. I'd buy something secondhand but that's currently more expensive than new!
Lincolnshire England.
poleposition

Post by poleposition »

Hi JFDIT, I have been looking at the same issue. There is an AWD version on the MY23 pricelist, the B4 (P) AWD Automatic Plus.
XC40 MY23 B4P Plus AWD 7 Speed Auto AAOS
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Yes, poleposition, that's the only Trim Option though. I like the extras I have at the moment so would need the Ultimate. Strangely it's all available in Germany, including the B5 lump!
Lincolnshire England.
poleposition

Post by poleposition »

Yes, it does seem very strange to not offer the Ultimate with AWD. The Plus has most things I would like, but you can't have 8 speed auto, or headlight washers etc. The MY22 specs would have suited me better, but no longer available to order. Ordering an XC60 would solve some of these issues, but about £10,000 extra.
XC40 MY23 B4P Plus AWD 7 Speed Auto AAOS
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

This all reminds me of the frustration I had when I moved from VAG having owned many VW and Audi cars and a Skoda Yeti. I had intended staying with them but couldn't have the spec that I wanted and being forced to have things I didn't want.

Fortunately Volvo came to the rescue and I got pretty much exactly what I wanted at an acceptable price. It appears though now that my saviour is now going down the same route and costing more and if I was buying now it probably wouldn't be an XC40 and if not what? That's the problem.

On the Skoda forum we were complaining about the limited choice compared with other markets and evidently it was down to Skoda UK who knew better than its customers.

So, I shall be buying the XC40 at the end of the PCP in about 18 months time and continuing to enjoy it as the car I really wanted instead of as a make do along with the TT.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
typolee

Post by typolee »

I took delivery of a XC40 T4 recharge last month and I'm disappointed with the performance (very). I've come from a XC90 which I know was more powerful in D5 form but was much heavier so thought the performance would balance out. Up hills the Xc40 sounds like a flymo and revs its balls off. It just hasn't got the power or torque IMO. Obviously due to the small 1.5 engine. You do get semi decent performance in Power mode but that gives you very poor economy! I'd go XC60 in T8 form anyday!!

I'm stuck with it for 3 years on business contract and can't wait to get rid already :(
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

XC90 down to an XC40 is a bit of a fall, so can see why some disappointment - think the T4 Recharge has a 1.5L 3-cylinder engine, which in my opinion is far too small for such a heavy car - and guess why you rev it so hard to do anything at all - guess many will disagree who have the 1.5L fitted in their cars, but equally many posts and readings suggest folk are glad to be shut of them - The XC40 is no XC90 but is a great car in its own right, especially when it has the 2.0L engine fitted or fully electric.