360 degree camera

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnpartis

Post by johnpartis »

Loving my new XC40 ( but still cant agree on a name for her yet!)
Really finding the 360 camera useful but feel it would be helpful to be able to turn on (for example) the front facing camera with a voice command. What do other people think?
XC40 Inscription Pro B4 FWD Denim Blue with 360, spare wheel, ordered 20 August 2021, due at Dealership first week in November. Actually collected 23 October 2021.

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Yes absolutely. It's pretty annoying having to stop, scroll the touchscreen, choose the camera option, it's usually then showing the rear cam so you have to click 360 and then on the front camera.

Would be useful using it when emerging from a tight junction, for example on a country lane near me where there's a stop sign and basically no view from the driver's seat. But doing all the above makes it impractical.

I also find the 360 view pretty useless. It's good for getting in the middle of a parking space, but if you're somewhere where it really matters like a tight 6'6" width restriction the resolution isn't sufficient to get your wheels within an inch of the kerb.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Bob

Post by Bob »

On the google equiped P8 EV the 360 camera has a switch available at the bottom of the touch screen, so it can be activated with a single press. I also noticed these switches change depending on what you are doing, so the camera swich is available when moving slowly, but at higher speeds it changes to something else (if I remember correctly). I didn't have the car long enough to determine whether voice commands could activate it, but I wouldn't be suprised if they did.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
johnpartis

Post by johnpartis »

Hopefully the Volvo "powers that be" read this forum - and might respond positively?
XC40 Inscription Pro B4 FWD Denim Blue with 360, spare wheel, ordered 20 August 2021, due at Dealership first week in November. Actually collected 23 October 2021.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

johnpartis wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:02 am Loving my new XC40 ( but still cant agree on a name for her yet!)
Really finding the 360 camera useful but feel it would be helpful to be able to turn on (for example) the front facing camera with a voice command. What do other people think?
Admittedly the trend these days to remove buttons and replace them with swipes and taps is a PITA.... However, over time I've found it quite easy to quickly swipe the screen and get the camera up in the position I want. I'd prefer physical buttons.

I'm sure you'll adapt to the car as your length of ownership increases.

Given Volvo, oddly given they are a Chinese company, are moving to google based systems there will be fewer improvements for the current systems.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
johnpartis

Post by johnpartis »

Yes, you are right, I am already beginning to find my way around the touch screen without needing to look. Finding the front camera useful including turning out at a blind junction. Slightly miffed that Cross Traffic Avoidance has been denied me - no good having a chip on my shoulder though, it doesn't do the job! BLISs - not.
Gkh1

Post by Gkh1 »

Can a 360 camera be retrofitted to XC40 ?
D3 Momentum Pro AWD Fusion red
Crawest

Post by Crawest »

Hello everyone, can i use 360 camera on my xc40 as a dashcam? Thx
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Crawest wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:55 pm Hello everyone, can i use 360 camera on my xc40 as a dashcam? Thx
No, you can’t.