Main Dealer Service

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DAL14

Post by DAL14 »

Hi all... I'm new to the forum despite owing my T4 XC40 Inscription for 3 years.

Today I received a service report advising immediate pad and tyre replacement. Not entirely unexpected after 22k miles BUT I'm surprised at the prices. Note, I'm coming from a 130i bmw for comparison. £280 per axle for pads, £300 for tyres.

I'm less fussed about tyres but does the quote for pads sound right?

The other oddity was that the fail depth reading on the tyres came from the very very inside shoulder NOT the actual running tread. Historically tyre wear like that on my 130i has been down to suspension alignment and certainly isn't to do with legal tread depth (which they quoted).

Thanks

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

As I recall the minimum depth has to be maintained across the centre 3/4 of the tyre's tread. The shoulders don't matter.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Brake pad renew after only 22k miles?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Felindre wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:33 pm Brake pad renew after only 22k miles?
Unfortunately, for some of us, yes. See other threads about the same topic:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2762

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2448
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

Have you checked the tread wear yourself or at a tyre centre? Mine were checked at Volvo as part of another issue and they said my front were nearing replacement levels of wear, Kwikfit checked them and showed 4mm remaining.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

The legal minimum tread depth for car tyres in the UK is 1.6 millimetres, across the central ¾ which is 75% of the tread around the complete circumference of the tyre. Oddly the rear brake pads do seem to wear faster than the fronts, guess its something to do with the re-gen system - and unlike the tyres, don't think you can have the brake pads fitted by anyone other than Volvo, so I guess its a captive audience?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Wrong there Oldie, you can have brake pads and indeed any other servicing of your car done by anyone you like, and manufacturers are obliged to sell spare parts to anyone who asks. It's the law.
Deleted User 3629

Have you tried to have your XC40 brake pads changed elsewhere other than a Volvo garage greggspies? If not, wait till you do!!!
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I haven't, Oldie, and I probably won't but what's the problem? I'm guessing the electric parking brake has to be removed, but is it any different to other Volvo models?
Deleted User 3629

A friend of mine needed them changing on an XC40 First Edition and was told by their local independent garage that only Volvo could change them as the system needed to be re-programmed after and only Volvo could do this - I can not substantiate this as I was not there when they were told, hence why I did say, greggspies, that I don't "think" you can, and not the phrase, "you can not" !!!