A question for any electricians out there.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
step2534

Post by step2534 »

This is regarding solar panels and ev chargers.

This last Wednesday I had my free Newmotion charger fitted, spot on .
I have 16 solar panels fitted to house, I mentioned this when I completed my on line survey to Newmotion
The solar panels were fitted by connecting to the tails in the outside meter box, a seperate fuse box with a on off switch was fitted inside the meter box.
A wire must have gone into the internal fuse box because the electrician had the front off.
My question is If the power is connected to the tais before the house fusebox will I benefit from the solar panels or have they been by passed?

I asked the electrician who fitted it but he said he didnt know. He had only worked for the company for a week and he had fitted it as he had been shown, So no joy there.

I dont suppose in the great scheme of things it going to make too much difference but it would be nice to think the panels were helping.

I hope Ive explained it OK and thanks for any reply,s in advance

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The tails would go into your meter so the meter knows whether you're importing energy from the grid, or exporting energy back to the grid. If your panels are generating, the house (including your charger) would be using the generated electricity before taking from the grid.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

But you may need another device to allow this to happen and to choose when your solar energy goes into your car. Am not an expert on this, but I know the Zappi charger has this capability built in. The Andersen charger, which is the one I am having fitted, requires an additional module. When I looked at New Motion, I don’t think there was any mention of this.