When will we get full auto air con ?

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
percymon

Post by percymon »

The only annoyance i have with my C40 after 12 months ownership is the pathetic operation of the climate control. The Auto function isnt truly auto - yes it directs air across the vents as it sees fit, but the air speed is still determined by the fan speed setting.

Example - car sat in office car park all day yesterday, outside temp 27'c. Climate set to air con on, 18'C, Auto and fan speed 2. in order to cool the car down in less than 20 minutes the fan needs to be manually adjusted . Yes i could leave the fan speed set to 5, and the fan speed will go up n down as needed; but i dont necessarily want to be blasted with fan speed 5 either

This really is poor for a £50k+ vehicle - every car i've had since 1999 has had a full auto climate control
2023 C40 Plus - Silver Dawn, 20" alloys

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Set the temperature to LO and it overrides your fan setting
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
percymon

Post by percymon »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:54 pm Set the temperature to LO and it overrides your fan setting
Not on mine it doesnt - -i've had it set to lo for days with fan speed 1 selected. You could cook your dinner before the cabin cools down ;)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I have the fan speed set to 3 and everything works fine for me. Guess it's your choice to set to 1 and suffer the consequences, but seriously can you really complain when you set such constraints upon the system?
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Owner’s manual recommends to set fan speed to 2. I drove with fan set to 1 and the air con couldn’t cool the car. After setting the fan to 2 air con functioned flawlessly.
percymon

Post by percymon »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:25 pm I have the fan speed set to 3 and everything works fine for me. Guess it's your choice to set to 1 and suffer the consequences, but seriously can you really complain when you set such constraints upon the system?
yes its a choice, thats not my gripe

Just enable full auto climate control, not auto air distribution, manual restriction of fan speed control. Is it too much to ask when cars a third of the price offer it ?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

OK, I understand. Both of my XC40s automatically control the fan speed. The manual setting serves to limit the maximum fan speed, it can be rather noisy flat out. Defrost, Lo and Max override the manually set limit.
Perhaps yours has an issue?
Lincolnshire England.
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

JFDIT wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:58 am OK, I understand. Both of my XC40s automatically control the fan speed. The manual setting serves to limit the maximum fan speed, it can be rather noisy flat out. Defrost, Lo and Max override the manually set limit.
Perhaps yours has an issue?
Ah, that it limits the max speed is interesting. I knew mine adjusted fan speed on auto (as it should of course) but not about the limit. I think mine is 3 but, being in the UK I might increase it as max speed, although noisy, is unlikely to be much needed!
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

percymon wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:31 am
JFDIT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:25 pm I have the fan speed set to 3 and everything works fine for me. Guess it's your choice to set to 1 and suffer the consequences, but seriously can you really complain when you set such constraints upon the system?
yes its a choice, thats not my gripe

Just enable full auto climate control, not auto air distribution, manual restriction of fan speed control. Is it too much to ask when cars a third of the price offer it ?
And if you read JFDIT’s response you’ll see why setting it at 1 is the whole problem.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

GRAF, from what I can tell the number you manually set the fan speed to sets an Upper and Lower speed range for normal operation, within which the system automatically adjusts depending upon need. Setting the heating to Lo or Hi overrides this as does a double press on the Front Screen heater.
I too find 3 to be the optimal setting for ventilation and fan noise.
Lincolnshire England.