Dash cam question

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I'm looking for a dash cam and have gotten quite confused. Initially was looking at Nextbase or BlackVue (although don't like the fact that Nextbase appears to require you to pay their inflated SD card prices). Went into my local auto parts store that does a wide variety of vehicle modifications, only to be told that any dash cam that used WiFi to communicate with a smartphone would have issues since both the car WiFi and CarPlay would interfere with the dash cam. I find this a bit strange, but the thing that lends a bit of credibility is that as a result they steered me towards a low end Pioneer model when they could have tried to sell me a much more expensive BlackVue or other higher end model. Anybody have experience with this?

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

qrt31 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:59 am Any dash cam that used WiFi to communicate with a smartphone would have issues since both the car WiFi and CarPlay would interfere with the dash cam.
I’ve been using Garmin Mini Dashcam for 2,5 years and never had issues with Wi-Fi interference. Furthermore, CarPlay can’t interfere with Wi-Fi since Carplay it’s not wireless in XC40. I had some issues in the past connecting my iPhone to Garmin Mini, but those issues were related to Garmin software, not Wi-Fi interference. Ever since I upgraded my dashcam to Garmin Mini 2 I have no issues whatsoever connecting to it and downloading footage to my iPhone.
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

I have Nextbase 312 GW in car for nearly a year with no problems and same mode inl my truck,I bought ScanDisk cards from Amazon,as long as it's the right class of card does not need to be Nextbase one,don't have Wi-Fi enabled on the camera,I carry spare card,if anything happens I can swap the card and upload it from of at home
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

qrt31 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:59 am I'm looking for a dash cam and have gotten quite confused. Initially was looking at Nextbase or BlackVue (although don't like the fact that Nextbase appears to require you to pay their inflated SD card prices). Went into my local auto parts store that does a wide variety of vehicle modifications, only to be told that any dash cam that used WiFi to communicate with a smartphone would have issues since both the car WiFi and CarPlay would interfere with the dash cam. I find this a bit strange, but the thing that lends a bit of credibility is that as a result they steered me towards a low end Pioneer model when they could have tried to sell me a much more expensive BlackVue or other higher end model. Anybody have experience with this?
If you take a look at the post(s) I made a few days ago, it may be of help. I now have the Nextbase 422GW and have no interference with my systems (now the rear view camera has been removed 🥴) p.s. Scroll to the initial post and then follow the thread..........

viewtopic.php?p=30987#p30987
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic
como

Post by como »

Hi,
I have been using the BlackVue 750X for just over a year without issue.
T3 Auto R Design Pro, Thunder Grey, MY2022
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

como wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:19 am Hi,

Great to know, thanks for sharing.
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

como wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:19 am Hi,
And me the DR900X-2CH. 👍
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
ranoutofaliases

Post by ranoutofaliases »

Can I ask who fitted it ?
Having an issue regarding getting a dashcam fitted to my new XC40 B3 MHEV.
Volvo dealers will only fit Volvo approved Roadhawk dashcam - nothing else. Roadhawk DC3 which is the current model is suspended pending the release of the DC4.
If I go to anyone else to get a different dashcam
fitted it may invalidate the 3 year warranty if there was an issue.
Grateful for anyone’s experience particularly if they’ve managed to get a Volvo dealer to install a ‘non approved’ dashcam OR their thoughts on the Roadhawk DC3 ?

Thank you
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

ranoutofaliases wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:46 pm Can I ask who fitted it ?
Volvo dealers will only fit Volvo approved Roadhawk dashcam - nothing else. Roadhawk DC3 which is the current model is suspended pending the release of the DC4.
Grateful for anyone’s experience particularly if they’ve managed to get a Volvo dealer to install a ‘non approved’ dashcam OR their thoughts on the Roadhawk DC3 ?

Thank you
I have a Nextbase GW422. If you buy a Nextbase camera from Nextbase their fitting service is RC Connect. I had great service from RC Connect. Halfords also do a fitting service but I don't know how good they are.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

ranoutofaliases wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:46 pm Can I ask who fitted it ?

Thank you
I had a Nextbase 380 sat next to the binnacle and had no issues at all - was positioned just below where the sun visor opened to, so this didn’t catch it.
I had all the options on the car and had no issues at all.
I just used the 12v socket in the centre console, pull up the rubber mat below the USB / 12v socket and you can route the cable through there, behind glove box and easily up the A pillar 👍🏻