AAOS 3.1.9

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gedger

Post by gedger »

OTA updates are not less safe but as it’s so easy to send corrections manufactures are being a lot less diligent on testing before they release an update. The XC40 is the first car that I have owned with OTA and overall the experience hasn’t been great, certainly worse than the yearly update I received at the service with the previous car. There can also be problems during the update process that leaves the car in an un-drivable state, this has happened to me. I would much prefer the car to be a car and then for the navigation/media/messaging etc. to be left to a connected phone via CarPlay, Android auto.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, that's exactly what I've been saying and why in most ways I preferred Sensus.

I'm one of those John refers to but that's because that was what was promised and hasn't been lived up to and for many of us has had almost continual glitches in one way or another with what are basic car functions and the radio. These should be kept completely separate from some unstable platform that keeps needing to be fixed.

Not a problem if some app doesn't work, but it is if you can't use the cameras, sat nav or get incorrect speed limits. Ok, you can still drive the car, but that's not the point.

Why do they need to keep making driveline changes, whatever they are? Was the design not tested sufficiently?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

My driveline is definitely less smooth since all these updates, I now get a horrible clunk as you come to a stop and I presume the gear is engaged. When I moved from my previous VAG DSG to the XC40 I rated the Volvo DCT gearbox to be better, that’s no longer the case. The only reason they keep messing with the driveline software must be due to faults found, complaints or failures basically because, as you say, it wasn’t tested enough.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Regrettably our cars are in continuous communication with the Mother Ship, feeding back all sorts of telemetry to be used for marketing, design, on the fly tweaks and anything else the powers to be want to know about us. It's a different world now and not one I particularly like.

I also agree with Chris, a car should be just that. All the Smartphone stuff should be handled by your phone with perhaps just a simple Bluetooth connection to the car speakers. Then all we'd need would be for the car manufacturers to provide an industry standard Phone/Tablet mount! But I suspect they'd screw that up.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

gedger wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:35 am I would much prefer the car to be a car and then for the navigation/media/messaging etc. to be left to a connected phone via CarPlay, Android auto.
Totally agree 👍
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I can understand the guys sitting in a design meeting and saying wouldn't it be great to have this all singing and dancing system that would do everything required in a car, and to some extent it would, except for the likes of gedgers problem, where he couldn't drive the car, but unfortunately they are living in cloud cuckoo land as due to the complexity there are on going issues and bugs and it will never be 100% reliable.

We are used to having PC problems and continuous updates but we don't rely on the PC to get us to places, emergencies, the airport etc. Cars can fail for other reasons but this added complexity is just making cars more unreliable.

We are pretty well informed on here and so often brush off the problems (whooping noise, display issues etc.) but I wonder how the majority of those owners who don't frequent forums are reacting to these problems? Are they contacting Volvo or dealers every time a problem occurs?

My speed limit display has been OK the last few days but this morning I drove 5 miles in a 70 mph limit and it was showing 40 and then 30 with no other roads in sight. On the return journey it showed no limit at all until I entered a 40 limit. Also it wasn't picking up the fixed speed cameras which it usually does. We only use one key, no profiles are set and no settings have been changed and yet different issues come and go.

I hope the guys who have bought new cars with speed limit warnings don't have similar problems!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:27 pm I hope the guys who have bought new cars with speed limit warnings don't have similar problems!
Luckily, it can be turned off with one click on the steering wheel. My missus new Lexus requires 6 steps/touches on the centre display :cry:
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

We should also remember that car manufacturers are being screwed by Governments imposing eye watering demands on what they are Allowed to sell us in unrealistic timeframes.

At least they don't rust much these days....
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes there is that John, of course governments don't have the foresight to consider the implications of their decisions and the manufacturers are forced to adopt them.

But I think most of these software problems have to lie at the door of the manufacturers. They are the ones who have been sold on these all embracing solutions but unfortunately they aren't as good as they thought they'd be, certainly from a reliability point of view and from mine a lack of menu choices and display. Is it BMW or Mercedes that are keeping a grip on their own software.

Last two days I've been missing the speed limit indication more than I've had it. Even passing two big clear 50 signs it took awhile to register them and then went blank again and stayed that way until it registered a clearway sign and again went blank. Good job all this isn't part of the crucial systems for running the car, well yet, gulp! Most of the time I don't rely on this info. except for 20 limits but do get used to it being there and a check. Went up a high street and unusually the traffic was light and found myself doing 25 as it's so easy to do. The flashing warning would have alerted me to this.

It will be interesting to see what driver surveys think about this era of cars as I think there will be a big drop in the reliability score? Volvo are not alone in this of course.

GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Had my car serviced today. No update carried out by the dealer still on 3.0.3.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey