Juddering braking and strange feeling in brake pedal

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
cat1492

Post by cat1492 »

Hello,

We recently had the clutch changed on our 2018 T3 Manual after the issues with the clutch housing and slave cylinders.

Since then, we’ve been experiencing issues with braking and can’t work out why. When coming to a slow stop, the brakes judder as if the disks are warped. We’ve had the wheels off and checked all the disks with a gauge but they are all pretty much brand new and are fine.

We’ve also noticed that when depressing the brake pedal there is occasionally what feels like movement, or clunking.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Thinking completely outside the box here - with all the work done, the pedal box wasn’t removed was it ? Wondering if it’s been refitted / tightened properly ??

Is the clutch cable or hydraulic ? Bleeding it ?

No obvious signs of anything snagging ?
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Your brakes should feel smooth with no judder - and only a pulse felt when heavy breaking from the ABS - equally it should not be up to you to work out why it juddering, that's the dealers job to find out why, so take it back for them to sort
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
You’re probably right oldie when the car is still in warranty, however the car is a 2018 model and unless it has been extended the car is almost certainly out of warranty. The poster is imo looking for ideas from the forum as to likely causes for his brake judder before he lets the so called mechanics at a dealer loose on it.

If I were in the same position I would do the same and ask for any opinions or ideas on the forum.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@Den48. You are right in principle but in this case the juddering became present following extensive repairs and as such needs investigating by the dealer who did the repairs to ascertain if the two are connected, which they possibly are - I understand asking for ideas may be beneficial in normal circumstances, i.e. "my brakes are juddering what can it be"? but following extensive repairs think any "normal" suggestions may just muddy the waters as it could be nothing to do with the brakes themselves and could even be miss-alignment vibrations?